1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

sf chinatown

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by stevenrox, Dec 8, 2008.

1. stevenrox

stevenrox Thread Starter New Member

sf chinatown

their fishes there are cheap but not healty today i went to one of the stores they had like 10 discus that are around 4" they all looked strength less(like just floating around getting pushed by the water upside down getting stuck on the filter) and almost dead so they droped the price from 49.99 to 15.99 i told the owner and hes like no their not about to die. it was kind of sad because theres the fish that i want so badly and other people treat it like cr@p. also they had some that were so stressed out.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I do find that sad!

3. stevenrox

yea i also think they are selling illegal turtles because they were like inch big

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

what does a turtles sizehave to do with its legality?

5. LemonDiscus

In VA for some reason petstores cannot sell small turtles.... IDK why but that is VA State Law. I would assume VA is not the only state in which case selling baby turtles could be illegal there as it is here.

6. stevenrox

im not sure but i think you cant sell them if they are small because some countires their endangered and some are to common so they might be killing the population in the wild and also maybe people buy baby turtles because they are small and cute and they dont know they like for around 15+ years i think so they most likely will kill it or it will die of bad conditions just like how you buy fish they have to kill it so you cant release it

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

That is freaking rediculous, if you kill your fish because you grow tired of them you have some serious problems. Also, some turtles are endangered and some are not, but you should not be speaking about something that you do not know directly, its not right to just go around spreading rumors, thats called slander.

8. stevenrox

well i meant the fish you eat because some time people throw them into ponds and lakes and they sometimes take over and im not exacly spreading rumors it says above "i think" so its more of a opinion/guess. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/wildlife_news/baby_turtles_and_children_a_dangerous_combination.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/wildlife_n ... ation.html</a> and heres a good link

9. LemonDiscus

Actually as sad as it is, many people do release things where they dont belong. Florida has Oscars in their waters because some nitwits thought they would be fun to fish.... Needless to say the Oscars in some areas did really well and threw the balance off as prey were not developed to win against an Oscar and nothing is developed to hunt Oscars (except us). People release catfish in waters, which again have no predators.

Turtles I have never understood, Painted turtles (I am not sure of the size limit) under 2"?? in VA can ONLY be kept for educational purposes. Pet Stores can keep them but can ONLY SELL TO SCHOOLS etc... you have to have a license to have one.

Painted turtles are indigenous to VA and are by no means endangered! I still have never understood that law. You can have them when they are big but not when they are babies. BUT they are a local species that has local predators and is developed to live in the area..

Seems better than the nitwits who release Oscars, Catfish, Arrowanas, Pacu, and the numerous other monster fish that TOO many people buy and have NO ABILITY TO KEEP and put in their local waterways! Sorry I HATE people who release these fish out of their habitat!!! Doing that has so many ecological repercussions that people either dont stop to think about or just dont care!

10. stevenrox

exacly my point!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

In Ca. it is illegal to sell turtles under 4 inches. Yes, unfortumately LFS sells them illegally specially in downtown LA. Sad to see them. They are too small to survive without proper care and inexperience people who thinks they are cute as pets. In the bay area (SF) there is a turtle rescue group (I'm not a member). Maybe VA will also have them.
    Not enough Fish and wild life ranger to police every area. :(

Anyway Happy New Year to all.

12. stevenrox

yea today i went there and they were moving probally cloesed down or something =]