1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Shrimp (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Leslie, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm
    :( sad face, maybe I can steal some from the creek close by *_* Gets water ready I wish I still had some feeder fish with me :/ Are there any other foods I can try to feed my baby shrimps with?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:30 pm
    I wouldn't add creek water to your tank. There's no telling what was dumped in it from upstream.

They may be fine on really really crushed up flake food. Make it into a powder. I do this for Endler fry. Put some fish food into a small ziplock baggy and grind it in your fingers until it's as small as possible.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:34 pm
    Yeah... I was thinking about that too man made creeks don't seem very safe. I'll try the crushed fish food thing though ^^ I wonder if boiled egg yolk works though :/

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:35 pm
    That's an option as well. Take that and mix it with something like liquid spirulina and make it into a thin paste and use an eye dropper to place it in the tank.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:04 pm
    cool I'll go and try that, Thnx for your help ^^

6. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:13 pm
    ive been keeping some crystal red shrimp for about a month and a half and i think that one of them is berried. my cherry shrimp have yellow eggs, but my crs has dark spots in its belly that could be feces but have a feeling it could be eggs. they are where the eggs would be and about the same size as eggs and i was wondering if anyone knows what color the eggs are in crystal shrimp so im not waiting on a massive poop to hatch :)

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:24 pm
    here's a bit of info i found on your crs, hope it helps.

at the beginning, the eggs are dark brown or dark grey. But as embryos develop, the colour changes. After 2 weeks, you can see that half of the egg is translucent and you can see the eyes of the embryo. A few days before the birth, the eggs are totally translucent.

8. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:47 am
    cool thanks i think they are eggs ill let you know what happens

9. B Haley

B Haley New Member

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:31 am
    Lucky you!!! I cant get mine to breed, while my Cherries are underwater rabbits! I started out with 5 famales and a male now I have over 100 with 8 females berried right now. gotta love them tho!

10. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm
    your welcome.

11. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 pm
    haha im waiting on my first cherries to hatch too

12. B Haley

B Haley New Member

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 pm
    Got a couple Amano shrimp today, one was heavily berried.. too bad they wont make it... they are a low order shrimp.

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:00 am
    My yellows breed like wabbits too! :cool:

Can't get my CRS to breed...but then again...I only have one. DOH! [rofl] He was a hitchhiker and snuck in when he just a smidgeon of a shrimp.

14. B Haley

B Haley New Member

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:49 pm
    James, we should trade some lol!! They just could not go into the same tank because they would cross breed.

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 pm
    CRS and Yellows can be housed together without crossing. ;)

We could do a trade ifn ya want.

16. B Haley

B Haley New Member

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am
    James... PM sent.

17. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

dwarf shrimp for diatoms/algae/fungus

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:43 am
    i posted something a while back about diatoms or something along those lines growing in my moss and on the roots of my floaters. i put some of the plants in with my cherry shrimp and they cleaned them up nicely. maybe it was just detritus but i also had some red algae growing on the roots and the shrimp took care of it. the long roots tend to catch detritus and then fungus in my tanks and the shrimp eat that as well. so from my experience if anyone gets some funky stuff growing on their plants or roots some dwarf shrimp should take care of the problem. mine never stop eating so they will work fast if you dont feed um a bunch of extras.

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:27 am
    I was considering adding some to the 10g figuring the plecos wouldn't bother then and just to give the tank some "color"...once the money begins to replenish that will be my next order!

19. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:46 am
    haha i know the feeling... better fish than drugs or gambling right? :) idk about the pleco, depends on what kind they are maybe? as long as they got some where to hide they are really fast and i dont think the plecos would catch them. mine are in a ten gallon with a couple of cardinal tetras and even theh cant catch the babies. its got plenty of java moss and a couple huge rooted water sprite plants though, which i recommend for shrimp tanks, i also recommend some big snails like the livebearing trapdoors or a mystery snail to get any extra food. the snails in my tank keep the nematodes and planaria and what not non-existant and help keep the water quality high. my shrimp tank has a huge amount of copepods and maybe daphnia living in the substrate and on the plants so its also a good place to put some of the larger fry you might have.

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:30 am
    yep, that's my theory (fish are better than drugs or gambling)...and thanks for the info.
    Had cherry shrimp before in the 90g with the water sprite and it defin. makes great canopy for them.

I have a sprig of it in the 10g along with a few others that were transferred in from my 90g and I think they'd be fine with what's in the 10g right now (albino pleco fry, endlers & guppies...and a few of their fry)...the 10g is basically my grow out tank.

Once the funds replenish I think I'd like to test a pair of the crystal red shrimp.