1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Shrimp Tank Substrate

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by MOD_Dawn, May 25, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

I've been going back and forth on to what would be the better substrate choice for a shrimp tank.
    In the past I had both a cherry shrimp and a yellow shrimp tank that was done with eco-complete and I found the substrate to be "alright", but am wondering if either Ebi Fluval Stratum or CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand would be a better choice.

Does anyone know if the Fluval Stratum Shrimp would buffer the water (meaning INCREASE the pH since mine's steady 6.0, and according to what I've read I'd moreso want 6.5 ideally) and if so, how long would those buffering properties last?

Ebi Fluval Stratum Shrimp
    ai52.tinypic.com_24cf4g1.jpg

CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand
    ai56.tinypic.com_2dbtonq.jpg

And this is a photo showing an old setup of mine with the Eco-Complete Planted with Cherry Shrimp
    ai56.tinypic.com_2exc6mg.jpg

And one showing Eco-Complete Planted with Yellow Shrimp
    View attachment ai54.tinypic.com_f4075j.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

Also, if anyones done a shrimp tank with either Tahitian Moon or Fluval Stratum Shrimp substrate photos would be greatly appreciated!
    Or any other substrate for that matter...still in the planning phase right now.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I would forget those expensive butt substrates and go with what you like. My water is below 6 and I have kept all types of shrimp with no problem.

4. MOD_Dawn

so the low pH is okay with other ornamental shrimp? That's what I was worried about (low pH) and knowing the kiddo is eyeing up something called a orange eye tiger shrimp...or at least that's what I think he was talking about?

5. HBIC

They will be fine, from what I have seen they are a caridina species so you could actually keep them with some RCS or yellows.

6. MOD_Dawn

Haha! You musta read my kiddos mind. [icon_razz.gif]

7. HBIC

Just remember rcs OR yellow, they are both neocaridina so they will interbreed.

8. MOD_Dawn

Yep, knew that...remember reading they (if intermixed) will throw off a ugly grey'ish brown.

And I think I'll probably go for CaribSea's Tahitian Moon, read that with the fluval one any time you "disrupt it" that it makes a cloudy mess because it's clay based. And with weekly partials I like my tanks crystal clear. LoL!

9. HBIC

I had it in one of my tanks and not a single invert I put into lived. I can't say that it was the TMS but I have inverts of varied varieties in all my tanks that reproduce and thrive but the one with the TMS not a single invert lived in it. Just my experience with Tahitian Moon Sand.

10. MOD_Dawn

wow, sounds like you might have gotten a bad bag...read where some were complaining about bad bags of caribsea.
    Some saying that it went in cloudy from the getgo (which should be a sign) as when I had it before it went in crystal clear without any rinsing at all...and when disturbed for siphoning remained crystal clear.

Any photos of the tanks showing the substrate when you had them??

11. HBIC

Nope I have tore it down, it was a 20 long with TMS substrate and a jungle of anubias.

12. ChiefWalksInSlips

ChiefWalksInSlips New Member

Any update on the stratum you have chosen?

13. MOD_Dawn

I went with CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand, Photos can be seen via the link in my signature if you'd like to check them out.