1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

SIAMESE ALGAE EATER DROPPING EGGS

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by MOD_Dawn, May 18, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

SIAMESE ALGAE EATER DROPPING EGGS:

Time to revive this topic.
    Okay, I have Siamese Algae Eaters & I've noticed one of them shimmying (as in when a male is trying to get a females attention)...Well just a few seconds ago I noticed one of my siamese algae eaters dropping eggs or you could say apparently scattering them as SHE swam along?

Now I know nothing about breeding them, but shouldn't she be laying eggs somewhere where the male could fertilize them RATHER THAN dropping them freely throughout the water allowing them to fall where-ever and into who evers mouth?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Questions Directly Related To Breeding (Advice Needed)

Some fish scatter eggs around and don't attach them in one area. I'm not familiar with SAEs but I assume that's the case.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree with Anthony! Very common for some fish to scatter on the substrate... the male will try to get to all, but it is luck by the numbers when they spawn. She puts down tons of eggs and hopefully the male will fertilize as many as possible...

Local lakefish do this very frequently..... Not all put their eggs in an area they can guard or even that you can see...

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

okay, I never seen this before and couldn't find info regarding their breeding.
    It's sounding like i'll be lucky if I come across any fry in the future.

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Sometimes that's all it takes is a little luck. Document and pics.