1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Snails and Clams (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by caronsd, Aug 3, 2008.

1. caronsd

caronsd Thread Starter New Member

Snails
    So I just caught Walmart during their fish shipment. Some really beautiful fish came in and they were all very well priced. If I had my extra tank finished i would have bought this nice little 3" blood parrot they had for 5 but sadly i have no where to put it. Instead i bought some 2" gouramis, some red eyed tetras and some bloodfin tetra for my tanks. Funny story is though that this woman in front of me bought one of those puffer fish (they have 20 in the tank now at walmart) and 2 neon tetras, unfortunately the garden center employee put them in the same bag and the puffer ate them in about 30 seconds. Anyways, back to my original thought, I received 3 small snails, about 1/4" in size, should I put those in my tank or will I soon have an infestation on my hands.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Snails

If you want snails then go for it. Personally I hate to have snails in my tank. If you do put them in your tank I've heard that if you make sure you don't feed more fish food than the fish themselves eat the snails won't take over your tank. I don't know if that's true or not though.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Guess those puffers were hungry :eek:

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

snails are both male and female and yes if not keep in check you will be overrun with them shortly
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    eeyipes Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:14 pm

I tossed in 5-10 ramshorn and trumpet snails about a month ago. The ramshorns seem to multiply more slowly - I think it's because they lay eggs were the fish can eat them. The trumpets burrow in the gravel and probably lay their eggs there as well, and they are now too numerous to count. But since the trumpets only come out at night, I hardly ever see them. Like worms in the garden, they do a good job cleaning the substrate and maintaining plant roots.

But yes, 3 snails could equal 300 in a very short time.

A yo-yo loach or an assasin snail could help keep them in check.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Freshwater Clams

I just saw some clams on eBay that the seller says he uses to filter his ponds and tanks. This makes perfect sense since this is what they do naturally in the wild. I was wondering if anyone has experience with them on any level.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Freshwater Clams

When I was younger I used to take claims from the pond/stream on our land and put them in my tank. They lived for a pretty long time. Back then I didn't know much about aquariums because I was so young so I can't say for sure if it was a noticeable difference.

Not only are they good to help filter everything but they're good at keeping your substrate from creating toxic gas pockets.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Mr Crayfish went bye bye

Mr Crayfish went bye bye
    Last night when i got home all i heard was splashing because my little 3 inch oscar ate my 2 1/2 inch crayfish.When I saw the body it looked like a cootonball.I just can't beleieve he ate my crayfish.Now whats gonna eat the rest of the trumpetsnails?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Mr Crayfish went bye bye

Oscars and Cichlids eating crayfish and plecos is a pretty common thing.

Trumpet snails should be kept in check by controlling your feeding.

9. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I have been told that trumpet snails will not have babies if the water is cold. Maybe you can move them out of your tank and put them in another tank. I use to have trumpetsnails but never had them over populate because I kept them in cooler water I guess or maybe they just didn't like the food I was putting in the tank. :D

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

theres at least 1000

11. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Maybe you can sell them on Aquabid.

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

werid

werid
    well i have this 10 gallon eclips tank that has nothing but java ferns and 4 apple snails(dont know what kind but has orange spots on body) it is werid because i was going to help them change some water today but there were a lot of bubbles on top of the water what is this because like 2 days ago i saw them having sex so what should i do??????

13. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Re: werid

omg a peeping tom

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

no :D i was turning on the lights for the java ferns and i saw them sticking to each other and i was like what are they doing??? then i see something was in the other snail then the next day there was so much foam lol

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

by foam do you mean eggs?

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

MY GOD, now we're discussing snail sex! What's next? Lol.
    Sounds like they bred and if that's the case, as long as the water is not at the top rim of your tank they should lay a clutch of eggs above the water line.
    Sounds like they're golden mystery snails like mine by your description...mine have had a ton of babies. You can probably see most of them in some of my photos under the planted section. (90g).

17. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

how long after do they ussually lay the eggs?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Congrats! I love apple snails, lol

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

20. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I found something in my tank.

I found something in my tank.

I was looking into my tank today and i saw this black thing in the water. i didnt know what it was. then i moved closer to it and saw that it was a snail. i have no clue what type. if i can get a picture i will post. I had been think of getting one too. also does anyone have any clue to how it got there?