1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Snails and Clams (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by caronsd, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jessterwm

jessterwm New Member

Re: Mystery snails

That's good to know. thanks. any advice on what to feed my snail?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Mystery snails

No problem. I would try what Dawn's doing. I don't keep snails.

3. Leslie

Leslie New Member

guess what i found

guess what i found

i found some little baby snail today. only seen 2. i didnt know what it was until i got it out with my net.. i never seen eggs. how do you get rid of them?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: guess what i found

Squish them. :eek:

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Had a snail (that is if you don't have shrimp), net them and toss their butts, squish them and make guppy food out of them, or leave them in there if you want TONS of them!

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Had-A-Snail is EVIL ! It almost killed my entire tank full of Endler's when I tried it.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Really? I used it back when I had the 15g with the geophagus (sp), I picked up a plant at the lfs and it must have came with snails (didn't really think to check it)....and it worked? Did it alter your water chemistry that it almost killed the endlers? I mean I know you can't use it with shrimps...but it should have been defin. okay with endlers!

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The water chemistry didn't change I just think they're really copper sensitive. About 15 minutes after adding it all the fish settled on the bottom of the tank and weren't moving. I had to do a 90% water change and hours later they were acting normal again.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Holy Crud, I'm glad you told me that...after hearing that I defin. am NOT going to take a chance with that product ever again. I haven't used it on the 90 because of the shrimp...I only used it when I had the 15. Sounds like I got lucky? I would have wrote the company about it (not that it would truly do any good, but moreso to gripe).

10. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

That why I dont like copper meds :confused:

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I did call API and a tech called me back. Nothing was done about it though.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I woulda ripped them a new one...IF they think fish/plants/substrate...etc is Cheap they are highly mistaken!

13. LemonDiscus

I hate to be the mean one here, but anytime you choose to add ANYTHING to your tank it is buyer beware! That's where product research pays off. I have posted several times on here that copper is VERY dangerous! Thats why I NEVER recommend using products with copper UNLESS it is a last resort which I have never encountered a situation like that.

Keep in mind a product meant to KILL an animal puts other animals at risk too!

I dont remember how to do it but snail traps seem like a good way to rid, loaches (but they do get rather large) and the good ole fashion crush em when you see them!

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

with snail traps (if I remember right) they tell you to place a small saucer or terra cotta pan on the bottom of the tank and put algae wafers on it and that attracts the snails (do this when the lights are off)...then all you have to do is remove the saucer/pan and most/all of your snails can be easily removed.

15. LemonDiscus

I read lettuce but thats it.... you can also stuff the lettuce/wafers into a 20oz bottle and they should crawl into it.

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, weigh the end of the bottle with a bit of substrate to keep it from floating up and stuff it with some algae and you should be good to go.
    You may be right lemon, I bet either would work in a pinch!
    I know my mystery snails go nuts for the hikari algae wafers:)

17. LemonDiscus

Yup! There is always a natural way to do it BEFORE using chemicals! Not only is it cheaper, is safer and usually even has a higher success rate!

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

chemicals! yikes! icky! avoid like the plague!

Snails are actually beneficial to your ecosystem...the key is control.

If you don't want them...now is the time to catch and remove. I discovered a couple in one of my non snail tanks and just removed them. I'm always checking to make sure that there are no more there.

If you have them and want to keep them in check...romaine lettuce works wonders. Like mentioned above, put in then tank when the lights go out. Few hours later, pull it out.

They could also be a tasty treat if you don't mind squishing them for your fishies. DPs and Clown Loaches will also munch them.

19. wimberlyt

wimberlyt New Member

Snails

Snails
    After buying my new plants yesterday, I woke up to find a few tiny hardshelled critters in the tank. They were only about 1/4 inch long and had long pointed shells. I called the pet store where I bought the plants and they said to kill the snails. So, They got the business end of my finger. Two escaped into the gravel, so as soon as they get on the glass, they're history! :twisted: I'm guessing that these are the bad snails? :confused:

20. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: Snails

Sounds like MTS. These are actually good to have. Especially if you are using sand for your substrate. They mainly stay in the substrate. Best time to find them would be at night. Get a flashlight to shine in the tank.