1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

snails and fish eggs?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by kwheeler91, Aug 8, 2009.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

regardless of all the measures ive taken to not get snails other than my live bearing trapdoors i have found some ramshorn, pond, and trumpet snails among my java moss and other plants. ive been conditioning my cpds for a while and my females look like they are gonna explode so i im going to throw the males in tonight. im concerned that maybe snails will eat fish eggs? or am i completely wrong and is it a good to have some snails in the fry tank?

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

They multiply rapidly,as they die off. Their corpses can be a major pollutant in the tank or pond.
    Large snails can create copious amounts of waste adding to the nutrient load.
    Snails may eat fish eggs or newborn fry if given the chance
    One should also be aware that red ramshorn snails are able to carry various parasitic flukes, which can be transmitted to fish. Most of these flukes require intermediate hosts, so that leaving the snails by themselves for a month or so will eliminate the disease.

Rick

3. kwheeler91

i have only seen the tiniest of snails in my fry tank, and very few and far between at that. and the only ramshorns i have seen were not the red ones if that makes a difference?

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

I have not known pond, rams, mts or briggs to eat caviar. ;o)

5. kwheeler91

k thanks :) ill just try to keep them down to a minimum just to be safe.