1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Snails from a tich with ich

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by HBIC, Apr 27, 2012.

1. HBIC

HBIC Thread Starter Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I have been VERY busy lately and had an ich outbreak in my 55. I lost a few fish unfortunately :( The issue is that this tank also provides ramshorns that I use to feed my assassins. The tank has been running now for 10 days or so with nothing but inverts and several water changes have been performed. How long should I wait to use the snails from this tank in my assassin tank that also contains a very healthy colony of endlers without having to worry about transferring the ich?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

how are/did you treat the ich? (medication/temeperature increase) and for how long?
    ps. has carbon been removed while treating (that's if you're using it in the first place of course)?

I know snails can "carry" ich, but with keeping the snails in a tank without any fish the ich should be starved.

3. HBIC

I didn't treat it, the outbreak happened while I was away and all that is left is the snails and my cray. The only thing that I have done to the tank is water changes.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

so all the fish were lost? with only snails left in the affected tank the ich should starve to death being they are left with no fish to "host" them.

Now this is just me, but I think if it were me I'd play it on the safe side anyways and raise the temp to 86-88F for about 2 weeks.

5. HBIC

That is the issue, I can't raise the temp that high or use salt as there is a cray in the tank.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

7. HBIC

I know I may be sounding a bit stubborn here but I will buy snails before I use a chemical in one of my tanks...LOL...I am like you after not having a fish to host the disease I would think that it would die. I will continue water changes and wait another week then I think it will be good to go to use the snails.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I understand, everyone has their own opinions when it comes to using chemicals in regards to their safeness/effectiveness.
    when it comes to ich your choices are pretty much increase temperature, medicate, or consider it a total loss and bleach everything that touched/went into your tank.

Good Luck *fingers crossed for ya*

9. HBIC

Without a fish to host the parasite I am not seeing why it simply will not starve?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

see post #4, you are the exception to the rule being all you have left are inverts and already have lost all the fish to it.