1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Snails

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by chunkslabdog, Apr 28, 2011.

1. chunkslabdog

chunkslabdog Thread Starter New Member

Are there any type of snails that are desirable to have in a tanK?

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

For a planted tank with substrate?
    {*} Malaysian Trumpet Snails (great agitators= no "pockets")
    {*} Mystery Snails (eat dead leaves which add to bio load, and excess food which can cause high phosphates & baddies in the water).
    also good for algae removal.

Warning...babies can get into filtration...to prevent this problem use prefilters over intakes.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I see almost any snail as beneficial and a sign of a healthy tank. Many enjoy the pomacea diffusa or mystery snail for ornamental reasons, malaysian trumpet snails are desirable to those with sand substrate for their burrowing qualities. Then there are nerites, these will not breed in fresh water and they are known as the algae eating kings, although I never suggest adding stock to take care of a maintenance issue such as algae. There are also tylomelania snails (AKA sulawesi) that are also an ornamental snail.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I've got snails in my tank and I can't stand it. They came in on some plants and they drive me crazy. I take out at least 5 a day.

5. Ben

Ben New Member

Snails are desireable of all kinds to me. I have enough loaches around that snails make free food lol.

6. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

I have one tank that when I drop in a leaf of lettuce in the evening, it's completely covered with trumpet snails by the morning. The leaf is then thrown into another tank with clown loaches. New problem is what to do with all the empty shells that accumulate at the bottom of the tank? Are snail shells useful in the garden? [icon_neutral.gif]

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think I heard about people using snail shells in their gardens before.