1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Sponge Filters

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Omega59, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Omega59

Omega59 Thread Starter New Member

Hi guys, i hope this is the right section for this. I got a question about a sponge filter. I read that i can make one using an air pump and tubing. So I'm wondering how do i make this. I got a spare air pump Whisper 40 and an air stone like the image below... and i got some filter sponge ready to go. I just need to know how do i place the tubes in the sponge?

This is what i am trying to setup...

10gal aquarium
    3 Endler's (2 female 1 male)
    1-3 live plants
    sponge filter
    heater
    sand for gravel

Thanks!

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can go diy as Anthony has linked or simply store bought --->
    The first one is the type I used years ago with my first 10g...
    1)simply connect piece of airline tubing to your aerator(air pump)
    2)connect a CHECK VALVE to the open end of the airline tubing
    3)from the open end of the CHECK VALVE connect another piece of airline tubing that will be long enough to reach into the bottom of your tank
    4)the tubing that is inside the tank will be connected to the sponge filter...don't forget to squeeze the sponge really good while its under water so it will stay put for ya!

ps. for a diy hole in the sponge you can simply use an x-acto knife or a pair of needlenose pliers to create the center...remember not to cut all the way through to the bottom :)

4. Omega59

Aahh ok thank you :)

5. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

for the pvc set up, i caped off the bottom, ran the air stone down to the bottom of the pipe, filled it with gravel and sponge filter and put it in the tank.

supposidly the water gets pulled in thru the top then pushed back out thru the top from the airstone. i did not see how that would work but the sponge gets dirty and the water is staying some what clear so i would say it works.

it was supplies i had laying around the house and for what it is, it does decent for my 10g.

thats my experence with it.

6. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

might be better to drill some holes in the bottom tho, i just have not got around to trying it that way yet. i guess cause it works this way, if its not broke dont fix it, or so i say :D

7. Omega59

sorry i ended up getting a NEW tank setup for $29.99 it came with a filter :)