1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Stealth Heater Dies & it's So-Called Warranty

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jun 10, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

HEATER DIES!

The stealth heater on the left side wall went tonight (in the 90g planted discus community tank).
    I noticed the discus acting a bit odd...excessive gill movement.
    I checked the temp of the tank and it was reading 88F, which it should have only been reading 82-84F.
    I felt the heater on the right and it was okay, but when I went to touch the heater on the left and noticed what appeared to be steam coming off it...A quick touch and that thing was smoking hot!

I immediately unplugged it and pulled it from the tank, it was still set on 82F too.

Welp,
    luckily I had a spare upstairs to replace it with (same watt/type heater).

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well that didn't last long did it ?

3. MOD_Dawn

SO - CALLED WARRANTY THAT COVERS SQUAT!
    Okay, check out the bold ....then what in sam's heck DO they cover??
    Because apparently the one that I just replaced musta had a bad heating element :-x

Purchase date was 11-7 from Kens Fish & it was received on 11-12
    $21.95 1 250 Watt Stealth Heater

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I believe that means damage done to anything due to a heater problem. No ?

5. MOD_Dawn

i read the use/misuse part and think they mean they won't cover anything. I could be wrong?

Shipping and return shipping would be at least $10.00 round trip (minimum) and that will probably get you a refurbished heater and lots of waiting I'm sure.

If I didn't have a spare I'd just add the cash to it and get a brand new one, rather than going through the aggrovation. And you bet your doughnuts that these mfr. count on this, buying new rather than sending it in for repair/replacement!

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I have no idea. I think most of the time warranties are a big waste of time. It's almost always easier to go out and buy a new whatever.

7. MOD_Dawn

^^ Fully agree!

8. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

So it failed after 6 months?

Rick

9. MOD_Dawn

Received November 12, 2009 and died June 10, 2010...so just about the 7 month point.

10. MOD_Dawn

Make that Stealth Number 2 that will be laid to pasture...
    Again it's the one on the left (I ordered a new one after the above incident figuring it was a fluke), basically doing the same thing...Noticed the tank Reading almost 90F and fish/babies acting a bit off (staying toward the bottom...somewhat slanted rather than their normal balanced position) and immediately checked BOTH heater finding the one on the right being nice cozy warm and the one on the left feeling piping hot and when I lifted it near the surface you could see steam coming off it.

Immediately unplugged it, Dosed the Tank with Prime, and Added Ice to bring down the tank temperature.
    Once the tank got down to about 86 the fish began to swim about and act "normal". Now I'm tweaking the temp of the heater on the left hoping it will be able to maintain a comfortable temp for the fish WITHOUT needing to run to the store and buy another heater.

Needless to say, IF I must purchase another heater it surely WON'T be the over touted Stealth Brand!

11. MOD_Dawn

Welp, today the last Stealth Heater went (one on the right).

The incident occured the same as the other ones, out of no where the tank's temp started climbing and the fish all seemed to be hovering towards the top (with it being most noticable with the fry side). You could see the "steam" coming off the heater and it was "extremely" hot to the touch. I tried adding ice and turning the dial all the way down, but it made no difference...this thing was smoking, so off to the trash it goes!

Guess I gotta muster enough energy to go to the closest fish store to grab a heater (which will never be a marineland stealth).

Edit...went with a aqueon 300w for $39.98+tx @ Petco....time will tell if it'll last :rolleyes:

12. MOD_Dawn