1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Stocking a 29 gallon tank, open to thoughts!

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Girlfriend sent me this site... its been useful.

Anyway,

Im looking to stock my 29gallon tank again. Ive flushed the filter system for about a week and the water is crystal clear and checks good on the ph for now.

Of couse Id like to get something cheaper to first break in the tank/water and then add some more goodies later.

What all would you guys suggest?

Some of the things Id like are some shrimp, maybe a small crab or two, and a algae eater... I know that much but that leaves alto to be desired lol

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Welcome !

You could do a fishless cycle and after that's complete add the fish you want without worrying about buying cheap fish to begin with.

If you're not interested in that then we can go from there.

Are you looking to start a community tank ? I assume so since you'd like some shrimp in the mix.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Im not looking for anything in specific really. Id like a small variety of fish :)

I swung by petsmart a few days ago looking for some Stress zyme but they were all sold out.

I can swing by again today.

So lets say Ill pick some up and we go from there... Not risking me wasting money lol.

Now we can discuss fish :)

I have a betta, was going to put him in there but I think its not worth the risk of him getting picked on!

EDIT: What brand do you recommend for going for the fishless break in? My local store doesnt sell Stress Zyme, just called them.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Depending on the other fish you put in the tank he'll be fine. I once kept a betta in a goldfish tank for my Grandmother, a large tank.

You could do some of the following and I'm sure others will have more suggestions as well. Everything below should be fine with the betta and will be 100% compatible with shrimp. The betta's fins may be prone to nipping so you'll have to keep an eye on him at first.

A small school of Zebra Danios
    Cherry Barbs
    Endler's
    Harlequin Rasboras
    Guppies
    Neons
    Cory Cats
    Sparkling Gourami

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Hatchetfish! for the top layers

TETRAS! Hi Fin Serpaes & some Black and White Skirts...and Neons as Anthony suggested.

Swordtails (I got a velvet that stands out great)

HoneyGouramis (soo cute)

Agree with the Corydoras (Albinos are easy to spot...groups) for the bottom

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Stay away from what seem like "show fish" as most of them grow WAY too big for a 29 gallon tank or require a school that wont fit in the tank!

Community is your only real option... smaller fish.... I know most people want the larger ones but they really do need much more space than that tank....

Everyone else picked great fish and I cant add more than they have!

7. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

you could always look into dwarf puffers, you could put like 2 or 3 in there, but i'm just a puffer fan :)

but if you were to go dwarf puffers it would be a species only tank and no betta and they would eat the shrimp, but it's up to you :D

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Keep us updated on the plans for the tank, and obviously photos will be great when it's all done!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Alright, been SUPER busy with work past few weeks.

Ive had some Stress Zyme cycling in the tank now for 2 weeks when I have been out of town.

Think Im ready for some fish this week. Its such a pain in the butt filling up gallon jugs of water to bring over to the tank and the same for emptying it lol.

Im also pretty sure that Im going to stick my Betta (whom I called Neptune and is currently recovering from an exploding tail) in the tank too. Ive got the filter system setup for him and a good bit of places to hide.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

1 solution..Python No Spill Clean N Fill

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Sweet found it on amazon and going to order one tonight.

Im looking at Sponge filtration.

When testing it a few weeks ago, it was powerful enough to pull my betta from clear across the other side of the tank. I was told if I stick a sponge into the tube, it wouldn't pull with as much force.

Currently I have the Aqueon Power FIlter 30.

Anyway though, Im looking to go tuesday and get some fish.

1-2 Cory Cats
    1 Betta (have)
    Endler's Livebearer's
    Cherry Barb's
    Sparkling and or Honey Gourami
    Scarlet Gem Badis (Possibility)
    Zebra Danio's

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Try Drs Foster And Smith. They may be cheaper. Here's a Link.

13. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

hmm I'd advise a little more corys 3-5 corys do best in groups you know : and honey gouramis are awesome. They'll be fine in there!