1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

stocking a new tank...where do you buy fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by chunkslabdog, Apr 28, 2011.

1. chunkslabdog

chunkslabdog Thread Starter New Member

I will begin to stock my tank after getting all plants settled in so I am wondering where to get the fish? I have visited local "places" that sell fish but was not too impressed with the condition of the tanks or the fish in general. I do not mean to sound critical, may not be the same in all "chain" stores. My question is....do you buy from local chains or pet stores, go to independent fish stores, buy from individuals(in home operation), and what about online experiences or aquabid? Any experiences good or bad to help steer me in the right direction would be great. I am in a rural area and would have to travel at least an hour to get to any place with a selection. Nervous about online but the selection is great! Thanks in advance.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

for the most part I get mine from oddball pets (they ship too)-->
    I've also gotten angels recently from aquabid and was happy with my purchase through Twisted_Fisher
    Other than that, my local Petsmart is actually descent if you can catch them the day they come in (I wait for the sales).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Try Invertebrates by Msjinkzd I get ALL my fish from her. Email her and ask her for a current stock list. She does all types of inverts as well as microfish.

4. Ben

Ben New Member

Depends what kind of fish you are looking for and what part of Va you are looking in. If I am getting cichlids I go to Cichlid Solutions in Richmond. Community style fish I either catch at the petsmart in mechanicsville which is actually pretty nice or I take my chances with Azaela or Fin and feather. If you are more towards the Beach area Animal Jungle is awesome. As far as online I go through some people from another forum located in Texas. Also have had friends have great buys on Aquabid.

5. chunkslabdog

Could you give me an address for the independent places you mentioned or the area in Richmond? I am beginning with a community tank. Thanks.

6. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

Have you tried to find any fish clubs in your area? I'm not sure how many there are in Virgina, so you may have to drive a ways to find one, but you'll be around folks who buy,sell and trade with each other, and often have high quality fish.

7. Ben

Ben New Member

I will get those addresses put up for you. If you are near the richmond area we have a club that was started a few months ago. Pm me if you would like any information about it.

8. Ben

Ben New Member

Cichlid Solutions
    6405 Dickens Place, Suite D Henrico, Va 23230
    cichlidsolutions.com

Fin & Feather Pet Center
    5208 Lakeside Avenue

Azalea Aquariums
    Azalea Avenue

Will get the full Azalea address for you after work.

9. chunkslabdog

Thanks! That would be great.

10. Ben

Ben New Member

Azalea Aquariums 5112A Richmond-Henrico Tpke Richmond, Virginia 23227