1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

stocking ideas for 75 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by logan mackrell, Aug 6, 2012.

1. logan mackrell

logan mackrell Thread Starter Member

I just sold all my fish from my 75 gallon due to problems): so I have a clean slate to start from. I think I want schooling fish, but decent size.... so maybe rainbows? And I want some clown loaches. So can some body help direct me on the number of bottom top and middle fish I can do? I'll take any idea into consideration, so throw some species at me! Thank everyone

Logan

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

So you're keeping the 75gallon tank? Thought you were selling it and upgrading to the 110g.

Stay away from clownloaches...they do best in groups and over time will grow quite large, plus they like alot of bottom space for swimming (not to mention hiding spots). That and they are prone to ich if not properly cared for and can be difficult to medicate.

Descent sized schooling fish that's a freshy & figuring you still want something with some color (Not all of these of course):
    • TOP LEVEL- Marble Hatchetfish or Danios
    • Gourami's (dwarf flame if you like bright, Pearls get really nice size and are pretty-but not flashy)
    • Boesemani Rainbowfish, Praecox Rainbow (Praecox stays smaller than the Bosemani in regards to width ime, both school nicely).
    • Longfin Congo Tetras (pricey, but nice looking in school when of a descent size- silvery)
    • Cherry barbs (very VIBRANT in color- red)
    • Angelfish (get territorial when they breed/lay eggs...I personally always loved the platinums & marbled veiltails- but if your doing marble hatchetfish I wouldn't do marbled angels too knowing you don't want everything looking the same color)
    • BOTTOM LEVEL- Loaches (Kuhliis are neat and extremely peaceful...nice to view if you run a lunar at night), Corydoras (hi-fins showup well, especially if you do some easy low-light plants like crypt wendtiis or do the larger breeds that will definately show up once they get some size on them), and 3rd suggestion would be denison barbs over the clown loaches you originally wanted (why? because they have a nice flash of color, you'll actually see them 24/7, and they are active- zipping back and forth mostly near the bottom-mid level, but they can be expensive= if you have a petsmart nearby check them because they carry them small which will be affordable).
    I'm sure others will give you some great ideas as well!

3. logan mackrell

no i ended up just staying with the 75:) ya i love denison barbs!! they have them at my petsmart for 10 bucks each so i could do 5 0r 6 of those, and 2 or 3 angels and a scfschool of rosy barbs.?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, just remember the denisons are sensitive when they are small...once they get some size on them they are hardy buggers. But definately COVER the top of the tank (ie. glass canopy or a sheet of lexan at your hardware store) because they zip around sometimes so fast that they'll fly right out of the tank. Trust me on this- I speak from experience!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Oh, and alot of times on aquabid you can score some really nice angels for cheaper than what they are in the petstores.
    Here's a good online store for them too --> http://www.angelsplus.com/StoreFish.htm

Rosybarbs go on sale every now and then at Petco for $1 (if you're lucky enough to have one nearby that gets healthy livestock that is).

6. logan mackrell

alright thanks! will that be all i can get or could i possibly squeez in a school of corys?

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

1) what kind of filter do you plan on running? gph? (turnover and partials have alot to do with what you can get away with in regards to stocking)

If this was my setup and I had good filtration (ie. something like 2 emperor 400's or maybe a rena xp4, of a fluval fx5) I'd Go:
    • 2 really nice veiltail angels for your "show" piece fish (you have to watch with your stocking when it comes to angels, they are a cichlid and definately get nasty when breeding)
    • 5 roseline sharks/denison barbs will definately give you activity along the bottom
    • 5 or 6 corydoras (they're cute and like to rummage amongst the plants in search of goodies..mine loved crusing along my wendtii strip that I had growing along the entire front of my 90g).
    • 8-10 cherry barbs will definately give you color (they get so much brighter than what you see when they are at the petstore- ask for MALES...males get the vibrant red, females stay the dingy brown)
    • and I'd add a MALE bristlenose pleco (and driftwood for it) just because they are peaceful and I think the males are soo cool with the "whiskery things".
    Here's a great tool for stocking--> http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Ps. make sure you are cycled and add the roseline's first (let them adjust without being harassed at first) and then probably the cory>cherry barbs>bristlenose if you'd like>and angels LAST.

8. logan mackrell

alright thanks! so is that all i could ad, or is there room for maybe a couple others??? and if so, can i have a couple of options?

9. logan mackrell

and im running a canister filter ment for a 100 gallon, and a under gravel filter also

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no, wouldn't add beyond my recommendation. what's the filters gph turnover rate?

11. logan mackrell

between 150gph and 350gph depending on what flow i want it on, and i always have it on the highest setting

12. logan mackrell

oh and also what do you think of discus and denisons? ive never kept either but especially discus. i know they arent the easiest fish to keep (keep water at 84F, acidic water, etc) i have done a fair share of research on these little guys/ huge guys. i plan on doing a planted tank. wold i be able to do discus do you think?

13. logan mackrell

14. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

It has been my experience that when first starting to keep discus it may be best to first begin by keeping them in a bare bottom tank until you learn their habits and husbandry and then move to a more desired tank design. Although they grow super slow please be aware that the clown loaches will eventually need a larger tank. I love the South American theme that is described above by Dawn. If you are set on schooling fish you could do a native tank with some top minnows are even a mountain tank with a nice school of white clouds, although the white clouds would need quite a bit of flow in the tank.

15. logan mackrell

16. logan mackrell

oh ok. yeah idk about the discus, maybe after i run the tank as a comunity for a year or somethin. yes i like the white cloud idea alot! ill seriousley consider it

17. HBIC

They are gorgeous and are rather hardy, best thing is no heater is required, just make sure to have a powerhead in the tank to create flow. With them you may also plant your tank you could also get some pygmy sunfish for the bottom of the tank, throw in some gnarly driftwood pieces and you will have a stunning cold water tank.

• Like Like x 1
  18. logan mackrell

alright thanks so much, im still debating though hahah. what do you think of african cichlids?

19. HBIC

They are beautiful but please do your research about them, they need specific water conditions and are aggressive. You could do Afican Riverine Cichlids like Red Jewels who don't require the rock hard water of the Africans.

20. logan mackrell

i actually live in orange county so all we have is hard water hahah, so i ve never really had the chance to keep some of the species i wanted without messing with the chemicals to make softer water.