1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Strange Mix... Doable ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Anthony, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

So I've been eying some Neolamprologus brichardi. My pet store has had 3 of them for a while now and they catch my eye every time I go in there.

Think there is a chance I could get away with having them in the 65 with the Swordtails ? There should be enough room, no ?

Am I crazy ? LoL

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I would say no, I keep neolamprologus multifasciatus (a shell dwelling cousin of the brichardi) and there is no doubt they will kill the swordtails. While they inhabit usually the bottom third of the tank the swordtails will be in for a BIG surprise if they venture into this territory. Shell dwellers of any species IME are best kept in species only tanks.

3. Anthony

You just crushed my dreams. Lmao

4. HBIC

The truth is I doubt the swordtails could take the high ph 9 at least or the high alkalinity of the water that would be needed to keep the Tangs happy. I thought these were a shell dwelling species but after a quick look I see they are not necessarily shell dwellers .

5. Anthony

Right, they're not. The guy said they were tank raised and always kept at a lower pH (7).

6. susankat

susankat Member

I have a group of 10 of these and they are nice fish. Even being not shell dwellers they need lots of caves as they will fight for them if there isn't enough. I wouldn't mix them with livebearers even though they can both handle the same type of water conditions the swords just won't make it. Their aggression sure does make up for their size.

7. HBIC

Even for tank raised I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. My tap ph is right around 6.5 and none of the Tangs I have ever kept looked nice or bred in ph that low. Once I messed with the water a little bit and upped the ph they become beautiful and started to breed.

8. Anthony

Really ? I was reading that as long as they're kept with other peaceful fish they for the most part remain peaceful as well.

My pH is at about 7.4ish currently.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I think once they started to breed they'd tear up the swordtails from bit I know about them, which I admit is minimal other than knowing they become aggressive (like almost every cichlid) when spawning.

Unless you wanna divide that tank or setup another one I don't think I'd tempt it, but that's just me.

Hey, don't you have any extra tanks laying around? Now there's a thought!

10. Anthony

Yeah, I've got a 2.5, 10, 20, 29, and 30L. LoL

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Silly boy, set one of them up..how many livebearers are you up to? Maybe put them in a 30L and save the larger tank for the Neolamprologus brichardi that you have your sights set on.