1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Stressed Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by jrow8162, Mar 3, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I doubt your bigger one will do okay in adding an already stressed/shy fish. Best you can do is create some cover for it (floating plants or a diy cave)...keep the lights cut back & feed it well if you hope to see it get to a descent size imo

2. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

I meant add the bigger Discus with the other 4 that I have...

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd be leary if he's been alone...could attack all 4 leaving you with a tank full of injuries?
    If you do, I'd keep a close eye!

4. jrow8162

I have a divider somewhere around here. Bought it when my orange pike tried to eat my oscar. The fish was flashing today. Rubbing against the line to the airstone. I'm treating for external parasite now. No signs of ich so I cant figure what else it would be. I would medicate some food but its not really eating. I did a 60% water change and then treated with Clout. I cant believe this fish is still alive. Its been moved twice in 7 days and is still kicking. I'm gonna do all I can to keep it alive. Its in the tank swimming now. Lights out. Put the gravel and some fake plants back in so it would have something to hide behind. Hopefully that will help with the stress.

5. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 New Member

my advice would be to leave it alone for a week or so and give it time to settle in.

as im sure you know all that moving around can get a fish stressed.

6. jrow8162

Here is the fish 2 days ago... I didnt see any spots on it so it was really hard to tell what was going on with it until it started flashing.
    0304001820.jpg

7. jrow8162

Here is the fish after the first clout treatment.
    0306002000.jpg

8. jrow8162

Moved this fish back with the other Discus yesterday. Is doing well. These Discus are really aggressive so i'm not sure they have established the pecking order yet. Had to move another one to QT today. Looked like it was getting picked on. These guys are starting to become difficult! I have 3 tanks with Discus in them now. My last 2 from Skoolz will be here this weekend so I will separate them all based on aggression once my 2 new ones finish their QT. One of my Red Discus is really aggressive lately so i'm thinking of moving Devil Discus, My Blue Discus, into the tank to calm him down. [icon_twisted.gif] These guys look great now. Will post pics soon....

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Sounds like it's paying off in the end. Keep up the great job. :) Of course when you have fish there is no end! :)

10. jrow8162

Yeah it is. I seem to like the fish that are harder to keep. I didnt realize how much bigger my other Discus was until I moved it just now. I will let you know how it goes. I will say all of the fighting in the tank has stopped since I moved the bigger one in there.