1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Surface Oils...?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by ChiefWalksInSlips, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ChiefWalksInSlips

ChiefWalksInSlips Thread Starter New Member

I'm battling an oil looking film on the surface of my tanks CONSTANTLY! Do I just need to do more water changes or is there a cause to this? It also creates bubbles around every edge and anything on the surface.
    bubbles 001.JPG

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

the cause could be dissolved proteins (from plants/food), waste in the water, not enough surface agetation. you can increase the amount (of water) during water changes and more surface agetation. if you feed with any frozen foods, try thawing and rinsing with dichlorinated water before feeding. also if you feed with a dry food that is high in protein, try feeding less or get a food that's not so high in proteins.