1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Sword Plant Propagation?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

ok i read that you can make another plant if you cut it at the rhimzon? whats that? i don't know and i want another sword becasuse the one i have now is growing good i forgot the name of it but know its a sword and its tall and leaf so i cut a stem and put it in the ground. is this how you propagate a plant?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: propating swords?

Rhiozome = Root (the bulb like part all the leaves come off of.. kind of between the root and the leaves)

No... the stem(s) needs some root to

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They should shoot out runners with daughter plants on them, no ?

4. LemonDiscus

Not always Anthony... mine stopped... it would be nice!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

when I had mine it shot out the runners with daughter plants on them?

6. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

both my amazon and argentine swords shoot runners and make new plants. heck, even the runner plants have runner plants. however, i think it depends on your set up and if your conditions are favorable for each of plant. for instance, im not sure what i changed, but now my amazons are growing very slowly are getting covered in algae and stopped producing babies but the argentines are doing great. so just let the plant grow and if the conditions are right im sure you will have lots of little plants in no time :)

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have a red indian sword plant that I picked up back in January that finally produced a daughter plant (I waited until I saw a fair amount of roots on her and pinched it off). Already have another one starting (can see the buds) :)

8. LemonDiscus

Swords DO propagate on their own using runners... if they are not and the sword is big enough, you CAN split it by breaking/cutting the rhiozome in half to duplicate it... the runners ARE the least stressful way on the plant to do it... but like outdoor plants, you can split it too... like I said earlier, just be sure to get root and leaves on both plants when you split it...