1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

t-5 question & lighting assistance needed for 55g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by heyfishiesfishies, Feb 28, 2009.

1. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies Thread Starter New Member

T5 light
    Hi everyone..I need help with choosing a light for my 55 gallons. I don't know what kind of light i have right now..but it's not bright. I heard that the T5 makes the fish tank looks real nice. I saw on craigslist with this ad:

(36" of 2x 39w T5 $60 ). Is that a good deal and good enough for my tank??? oh..I forgot to mention..i have fake plant in my tank and thinking of putting some real plants in. And what kind of color should i get for the bulb? Thanks.

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Not an expert in lights. But I think 2x 39w T5's will be fine.

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

It will be ok. The only problem will be the length as the footprint of a 55g is 48". I'm running a similar light now on a 46g which has the same footprint. If going with live plants, you want to use 6500k daylight bulbs.

4. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

That would give you 1.4 watts per gallon. That would be in the low light range. Check the plant sticky in the plant section to see a list of low light plants

5. heyfishiesfishies

Thanks everyone for replying. I have the bowfront tank so the length is only 36" with 21" height. Is $60 a good deal for it though? Once again..thanks.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Drs Foster and Smith has a 36" 78watt Nova Extreme SLR (Which I think is what you're talking about above.) for 75.00 new. I wouldn't pay more than $40ish for a used unit, especially considering you'll likely have to replace the bulbs.

7. heyfishiesfishies

Thanks Anthony..i'm just gonna buy it from Drs Foster and Smith.

8. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

That'd be best since the'll go for a while :)