1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Tank Conditions

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Beyond our needing to move three Oscars and large pleco to new tank my tank's conditions are the following.

Temp 80 degrees
    Ph 8.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate between 20-40 but probably closer to 20 (maybe a tad darker than the 20 on the color card).

What is the nitrate supposed to be? I am having a hard time finding information on this on the net.

Over the last week, the ammonia and nitrite were hovering a little higher than zero which made me uncomfortable and after simply changing to less feeding and adding an ammonia neutralizing blend carbon, I finally got it to zero two days in a row.

But what about the nitrate now?

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

how big are the fish and tank?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Sorry. 55 gal tank. Fish are various sizes: 5 are about 2", the pleco is about four inches now, seven are one inch in size and the five frogs are around two inches each, two catfish about two inches...two gold bristlenose plecos are one inch.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Also: \
    Marineland 400 (bio wheel) filtration
    Undergravel filter
    cichlid live gravel over smooth stones
    two heaters
    Penguin powerhead

Fish have been in cycled tank between four (the frogs) to seven weeks now.

5. buzz4520

your always going to have a nitrate reading as long as you have fish in your tank due to fish waste and left over food decaying. the best way to keep nitrate levels down is water changes, gravel/sand cleanings, filter maintenance. in my oscar/jd tank i don't let my nitrates get much above 20. according to your post, lets say your nitrate reading is 30, if you do 50% water change then your reading should be around 15. some fish can handle nitrates up to 40 but thats not good in the long run.

6. buzz4520

i remember seeing your tank in another post and i even commented on it. sorry to say but you really need to get your fish seperated, at least get the oscars out.

7. buzz4520

my best advise for you right now until you can get some fish rehomed is this, do a large water change and get the nitrates down, lets say 10 then check your water levels daily so your can get an idea on how long it take to get your nitrates to 20 then you'll get an idea on when you need to do another water change.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks very much buzz, I've been confused thinking nitrates were GOOD, then look at a product called Easyalance Niitraban and ... oh,no, that's not good. I did a water test once and the nitrates were low and I got worried. Much appreciated, the clarification here.

We will be moving some fish to a larger tank, not soon enough. I will hover over the water until we do. Up till now, everyone seems okay. No Oscars eating frogs, etc. But yeh, some will be happier in a new tank.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

thanks buzz, awesome job!
    Partials will defin. help.
    I'd go about 25% per week with all the plecos!

10. buzz4520

if it's going to be awhile before rehoming, i would suggest maybe getting another filter to help out, there's a lot of bio load going on in there and it's gonna get worse. o's and pleco's can be real poop machines and o's are very messy eaters.
    i'm glad that i could help you out.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Agreed, Oscars food is messy (live especially)...and the plecos...well any pleco for that matter can be a monster mess.
    Weekly Partials in descent amounts and keep an eye on your filter media (specially the floss cartridges...may need changed more often--at least once a month)

12. buzz4520

thanks Dawn. with the stock load of his tank it'll probably be closer to 50%.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yea, it is on the excessive side.
    But I'd worry about stability and mini-cycling.
    Be sure to dechlorinate before refilling with something like prime.
    You may want to toss in some cycle in between too to be on the safe side.

14. buzz4520

that's why also i suggested in getting another filter and do alternate filter cleanings.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Thats what I do on mine. Emperor 400 and canister.
    also, water volume could be increased by using sump.

16. BobV

BobV Member

if your ph is 8.2 as stated, I'd say that's too high for oscars and plecos. Your water is more suitable to africans

17. buzz4520

xnefc, haven't heard from you in all most a week. just woundering if you got a handle on the nitrate level? how are your fish doing ? good i hope.

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Hey buzz, thanks for asking. I've been pretty sick since...well since around last time I posted. All of the fish are good. Every one of them except we lost a frog who simply would not eat. It was not an albino but the lone gray colored one of the five. Got the nitrate level down to 20 or less by not feeding them every day, instead feeding them all a varied diet every other day and also using addtl filter. Did a water change (15 gal) and afterward got a slight SPIKE in nitrate, but very slight. Next time I will use reverse osmosis water from a local water dispenser/pump that is .25 cents a gal to buy rather than using my own water and Aquasafe....I think I will test the WATER I put in for nitrate??? I'm thinking it may contain nitrates? Or I didn't do a large enough water change but I had intended on doing several. I have been obsessively testing every day and it is holding at a light 20, so between 15-20.

This weekend we will be moving the Oscars and Pleco to a new tank (I want to rehome one at least if my husband will permit!) and I will hopefully be around and post some pics. I really am worried about the Ph for them, now I am aware of it (slaps self). I'm also concerned about stunting their growth in the tank they are in (been reading about Oscars). I was under the assumption they were african cichlids as far as Ph is concerned which is why I used the cichlid substrate. Also, everyone is still getting along for the most part. They do get grouchy but they are not vicious about it.

Do you think I should put the frogs in with the Oscar(s)? I could then use sand as a substrate in the Oscar tank?

19. buzz4520

hope you get to feeling better. sorry to hear that you lost one of your frogs.it sounds like your getting a handle on the nitrates. imo i dont' think i would put the frogs in with the oscars, but that is up to you. oscars are still young yet and you may get lucky and they'll get along. keep us updated and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask, someone on here will have an answer. glad that i could've been some help for you and good luck.