1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

tank size

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by steves_kiki, Jun 21, 2010.

1. steves_kiki

steves_kiki Thread Starter New Member

Ok so I got a tank off craigslist. I was supposed to get a free goldfish, angelfish(which turned out to be a long finned black skirt tetra) and 2 golden dojos. When I got the fish the girl said she didn't need the tank anymore so gave it to me. She thought it was a 55 gallon. My husband thinks its bigger. What do y'all think? Its 47.5 inches long, 20.75 inches tall (including the black trim top and bottom) and 12.25 inches wide. Its on the stand that held my 55 gallon which houses 2 6' breeding redtail boas who are now in the reptile room. Thanks!
    Kin

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

52.34 gallons according to those dimensions but the truth is to get the TRUE gallons the inside of the tank should be measured so I am thinking you are looking at probably 50 gallons.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

48x13x20...betting it's a 55 gallon- which makes her right.
    Using a calc it comes up to 57.59 US gallons.

4. steves_kiki

Thanks
    kin

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

So, whatcha gonna use the new craiglist tank for?
    55 is a nice size...gives ya a good bit of options :)

6. steves_kiki

I found some free small angelfish(About quartersized) on craigslist. It came with a large twintail goldfish, a black skirt tetra and 2 dojos. I got more black skirt tetras since they are schooling fish and 2 plecos and my cichlid catfish got too big for his tank so I moved him in there as well. I plan on moving the goldfish into another tank....I get the free angelfish Friday :)
    Kin

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

nice! I've always like the longfin black skirts and the Longfin serpaes outta the tetra family.
    They look soo nice in a large school :)

8. steves_kiki

I wanted to be able to tell the original long finned black skirt tetra from the rest, so I got 5 regular finned black skirts to go with him. It was so funny...when I let the new fish into the tank...the original 1 thought he was being chased... I guess you had to have seen it, but he looked so terrified...it was kinda funny :)
    Kin

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

well they can get nippy with one another...pecking order.