1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Tank size?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by toxxxic.kitten, Sep 19, 2011.

1. toxxxic.kitten

toxxxic.kitten Thread Starter New Member

Would a 10g tank be too large for a male betta? I was talking to my boyfriend about moving my Betta's tank up in size and he shunned me for it and said it wouldn't survive long and he would get stressed. I think, otherwise. I believe the bigger the better for him. Am I wrong?

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I believe a betta should be kept in nothing less than a 10, he will be fine.

3. toxxxic.kitten

Thanks for the speedy reply! I just wanted to double check before I made the switch. :D

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I agree with the advice given, a 10g would be fabulous for your betta!
    If your using a standard "hood" lighting you could add some low light plants, maybe a small piece of driftwood for a natural looking home, a bristlenose pleco down the line if you face algae. Oh, I'm sorry..here I go stocking and decorating your tank...it's a disease I tell ya..haha!

5. toxxxic.kitten

hehe!

I currently have him in a 3G with some nice fake plants and a bristle nose pleco. I found a piece of driftwood that would fit in that tank, but I believe I have over decorated it and want to move them up to a 10G. I was also thinking of putting some nice red colored LED lights to make his color pop from the black gravel. I also have a oriental theme going on. I think I have a picture.....

[​IMG]

The little bit of algae pictured there has all ready been cleaned up by the pleco. :)

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I had that same decoration a while back (the fu dogs)!
    That would look sweet with some vals across the back & maybe even the sides :)

7. toxxxic.kitten

I also have an oriental bridge that I want to put in the 10g. I couldn't fit it into that small of a space.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nice! I've got the oriental theme going in my 1 kids bedroom...Peaceful!

Ebay has tons of the oriental themed aquarium stuff (type oriental aquarium)...and I've seen some nice things from other online places that would work for a tank (fireglazed ceramic, etc).

You'll have to update and post a photo of the 10g once you get everything situated.

9. toxxxic.kitten

I will have to peruse eBay for more decoration ideas. I think a pagoda house would be a nice touch.

I will definitely have a picture of the updated tank once I get it set up. :)

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Have you tried the CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand for substrate? It's tightly packed so any missed food would stay on top of the substrate, rather than squeezing between (which occurs with gravel). For photos of it you can see it in my 20gL that has the shrimp via my signature.

Slap a crytal black background on and with the decorations you already have...I'm sure your fish would really "pop" without needing any led lighting.

And a bubbler/airstone behind the buddah wood look neat :)

Ps. Don't forget if your using a 10g and filtration to make sure you prefilter the intake if it isn't a sponge filter. Bettas are notorious for getting stuck up against the intakes due to their flowly finnage!

Oh, and when I was thinking of oriental theme I had planned on adding this--> http://www.amazon.com/Biedermann-Sons-T ... B001FWXL3U to my 90g and surrounding it with live plants, but my plans got changed.

11. toxxxic.kitten

Here is how it is set up now, temporarily until I get a full hood and a HOB filter:

[​IMG]

I will search around for backgrounds too because seeing my wall behind the tank is very unattractive. I haven't used the Tahitian Moon Sand before. I think it rather expensive per bag, though?

The terra-cotta sitting buddha looks awesome!

12. HBIC

I prefer a much more natural tank but that is just me :) I am sure he is enjoying his new found home.

13. toxxxic.kitten

I don't really have that much confidence in doing a natural planted aquarium or I would. I have found some fake bamboo plants that I think would go nicely along with my 'oriental theme' :)

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Looks great! A black background would look nice with the decor that's already in there.
    Maybe give a live potted plant a try (could put it behind the buddah in the right corner instead of the fake plant)...live plants are great for helping oxygenate the water.

15. toxxxic.kitten

I all ready ordered a plain black background. :D

I know live plants are better. What would be an easy first time plant?

16. Ben

Ben New Member

If you put a live plant in their with a nice broad leaf the betta will be able to rest on it. Fake plastic plants and anything with sharp edges are usually not in betta tanks because they can rip their fins on them.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Amazon Sword Plant comes to mind, has the nice broad leafs like Ben is recommended (which he is soo right about betta's using them to rest on), another one would be the Echinodorus Bleheri (which is a smaller sword type).

Some say Java ferns are supposed to be low light and easy, but I've only had luck with them once...every other time I've tried them I've failed miserably at keeping them alive.

Crypt Wendtii is also an easy one (I keep them in both my 20gL & 90g). All of the above are easy plants that won't need co2 or ferts, although swords WILL do better with a plant tab placed a fingertip space away from where it's planted.

18. toxxxic.kitten

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into getting some. n_n

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Oh your welcome :)
    If you have a petco nearby they usually carry the amazon swords in the pots and if your lucky you might find the moss balls or the java wrapped on a ball that's tied to fishing string and weighted to a sinker.

20. HBIC

Dawn I have seen bleheri as well as amazons grow out of 75's isn't this a 10 we are talking about?