1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Tank won't stop turning green

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by stephaniebray, Sep 8, 2009.

1. stephaniebray

stephaniebray Thread Starter New Member

My community tank is green. I realize this is an algae bloom, but no matter what I do, it turns back green, I've tried frequent water changes and chemical algae killer(which I didn't want to do, but did) Nothing is working. All water parameters are normal and the fish don't seem to mind it. They are still active and happy. What can I do to fix it and what is causing it??

I've linked a picture, only the water is green, there is no algae growing on decorations, rocks, gravel, or sides of tank.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3663&p=51701#p51701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3663&p=51701#p51701</a>

2. WarthogWilly

WarthogWilly New Member

hmmm, one thing that has happened to me is algae grows on the clear lens/ cover under the light, it can get so thick that your light is basically shinign through a green/yellow cover film, that has made mine look green and yellowish in the past til i realized what it was, now i keep it clean, i realize this is probably not your problem but just check it out, you never know..........

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Too much light on the tank for too long... 6-10 hours of light only and if you have no real plants keep it to the 6-7 hour length.

If you blackout your tank for a few days you will also help clean it up some.

If the tank is in direct sunlight at all during the day that will also cause the algae bloom you have. If this is the case make sure the sun does not shine on the tank or move the tank away from a window.

This algae is an EASY fix as most of it comes from too much light.

Also be sure to change your water 10-25% each week as fish poo adds nutrients to the water which the algae will feed off of (especially if you dont have real plants feeding from those nutrients too)

PS - Dont use the algae chemicals... they DONT solve the problem!

4. stephaniebray

Thanks, It is in my living room, across from the front window, but I usually keep the shades drawn. I will try moving the tank..(If possible-its heavy) I've been doing 10% water changes daily and it is slowly helping

On another note: I took all the rocks out of the tank to clean them and the fish seem more active. I have 7 assorted barbs and they are all shoaling and swmming very fast around the tank, I think I will leave them out, what do you guys think about that? The tank seems bare though, but i have 2 real plants with 3 fake plants in there.

5. LemonDiscus

They are shoaling because of the change you made... they are nervous and stressed... as soon as they get used to the tank again they will drift apart again...

I keep Discus which are not know to be "tight shoalers" but if I change the tank or change the water they all move in together... I do this purposely from time to time to decrease aggression and let them get "friendly" with each other again...

The less cover though over all the more uncomfortable the shoaling fish will be and the higher the likelyhood they will shoal more. The overall look though is up to you (BTW what size is your tank?)

6. stephaniebray

Its a 30 gal...I have in the tank:
    5 tiger barbs(2 are albino)
    2 gold barbs
    1 paradise gourami
    1 pleco
    1 molly
    2 danios

I think I'll put some of the rocks back in...they were in sort of a cave like formation.

7. stephaniebray

And I thought barbs were supposed to shoal?? Am I mistaken?

8. LemonDiscus

Nothing ALWAYS shoals... I have cardinal tetras in my 125 and they are SUPPOSED to shoal.... nope... many times in the day they wander off on their own... When spooked or nervous they all come back together and shoal for a while...

A predator in the tank and yes they will always shoal but they may (probably) will end up as food :)

9. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

It's a lot harder to cure green water than to prevent it
    Once it becomes established it can be hard to eradicate
    Like lemon said black the tank out to get rid of the algae then figure out the under laying condition that brought the algae bloom on in first place.
    Be patient, it takes time.

Rick

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if it continues to come back in spite of reducing lighting, keeping feedings minimal, doing larger qty water changes more frequently, and even attempting the blackout technique I'd say your either stuck with the green water which is harmless (but nasty to look at)...or getting a UV sterilizer and the proper equipment to run it (with the canister filter being the easiest imo)

11. stephaniebray

Thanks for all your guy's help. I really appreciate it. Sometimes when I ask them at the fish store, they make me feel stupid or on the yahoo answers web pages you get lots of stupid answers from people who know nothing about fish.

So THANKS!!

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh your welcome! Hopefully this will arm you with several techniques of which you can try ;)

13. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

i agree with blacking the tank out. This has worked for me in the past. I did a 4 day black out and changed the carbon in my filter and my water cleared up. Good luck!

14. stephaniebray

I started day one of the black out today....hope this works.

15. stephaniebray

here's a little update of my tank....its much clearer now, this is from almost everyday doing a 10% water change and blocking out light completely for 48hrs. thanks for your help, its not crystal clear, but its getting there! (At least you can see the back of the tank now, haha.)

16. stephaniebray

17. LemonDiscus

Great news and it does look much better! The white cloudy water is probably a bacterial bloom. There is nothing you can do with this... DONT try to over-change your water with the white murky water as it will prolong the bloom. Now just leave your tank be as you normally would (with less hours of lighting so you dont get the green water again) and enjoy. Give it about a week and your water should be clear again. (WC back to a weekly 20% rate again)

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

agreed, definately looking MUCH better!

19. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

If the problem comes back you can try some floating plants they are nutrient sponges.