1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

The Oto Journal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by James0816, May 13, 2009.

1. James0816

James0816 Thread Starter New Member

Going to start a new thread and keep all the updates and such in here instead of scattered about.

Might not be the best time to start this as I have two big changes today. The first, my light has gone dim and no spare to replace it. Granted it will only be a day without ample light but it's a change none the less. Will stop by PetSmart on the way tomorrow for some replacement bulbs.

Second....water change today (~2g). After changing the water, I noticed it was a little bit cloudy. I just hope the water is ok but will keep an eye on it. This is the first WC for the little ones in the tank so I'll keep a close eye.

Shortly after the wc, I spotted baby up top. He would swim directly to the outflow of the HOB and get washed back to the front of the tank. He did this about three times before finally swimming off. Hopefully he was just playing.

Upon further examination of the tank, I also found (4) new baby fry. Still have the egg sacks attached. Wearing them like a belt. Kinda kewl looking.

I then fed everyone: 3 small hikari waffers broken in several small pieces scattered about and two pinches of flake food ground up.

After the flakes were in the tank for a spell and several pieces still floating up top, one of the larger babies swam up and attached itself to a flake for about a minute. He came back to the top a couple more times after that.

Tank Specs:
    10g heavily planted
    SMS substrate
    Photo Period: 10hrs (0800-1800)
    DIY Co2
    PMDD + Phosphate dosing (this is a change from EI dosing to better control the ferts)

Tank Mates:
    Yellow Shrimp
    Briggs Snails (5)

Baby Count (as visibly seen today 05/13): 10

4 larger babies - colors showing
    2 medium babies - white in color
    4 hatchlings - egg sacks still attached.
    1 egg

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Glad to see another log like mine! :D

3. James0816

Replaced the light today but not happy with it. The fixture hums pretty loud when placed on the tank. Doesn't hum when upside down. No clue. May have to consider putting the 18w T8 light on.

Water test today (05/14):
    Temp: 74
    PH: 7.4
    NitrAte: 40
    KH: 7
    GH: 12

Turned on air stone for ~ 45 minutes to break up slag on top of water.

All occupants doing just fine today. Little babies were all over the place. The egg has hatch and visibly saw (5) hatchlings. Two of them are losing their egg sacks. The bigger ones continue to work over every thing they can find.

4. James0816

Couple of pics:

Current Home:

Parents:

Little one checking the Co2 Level:

New wiggler:
    tank_051409.JPG parents2.JPG checkingco2level.JPG wiggler1.JPG

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow, and I thought my jungle was thick before!

The lil ones are soo cute, they are about the size of my newer bristlenose fry.

6. James0816

Major disruption today. Checked on tank and found a dead shrimp and all the snails acting funny. Didn't like what I saw and immediately went back to my water change and thinking something was wrong. I immediately did another 2g change.

I attempted to suck up some debris off the bottom when I saw a baby go up the tube! YIKES! Me and my daughter scoured over the bucket and found it. Didn't have my shrimp net so we used a very small tupperware bowl. She was able to catch it. Turns out it was a baby yellow shrimp! Kewl. A life saved.

Along with this, I decided to clean the filter media as well. I took out the pad and rinsed it out good in the old tank water. I then thought I'd better check the HOB just in case. Sure enough....(3) baby oto's had somehow worked their way through the prefilter and into the HOB. Double YIKES!

Rescue attempt under way. Decided to pour contents of filter into bowl. Had some tank water standing by to pour back in HOB just in case. Dumped into bowl, filled HOB back up and hung on the tank. Checked bowl. Two babies found. Went to check HOB. One still here. Foot got tangled in cord..down went filter on the ground.

Me and my daughter proceded to check the ground thorougly. Finally found him after a few minutes. Got him on my finger and quickly got him to the bowl. Alas, he didn't make it. I am soooo ticked!

Two remain in the bowl. To be rescued from there shortly. They've been stressed enough right now. Gonna give em a small break.

Also turned the air stone on to increase the O2 content at the moment. Not liking what I found so better give it a booster shot.

7. James0816

Fry Count as of 05/15 (visible at the current moment with air stone on): 7

Successfully moved two rescued fry from bowl to tank.

Here are the rescuees:
    rescue1.JPG rescue2.JPG

8. James0816

Added (2) slices of Zuc for an evening snack.

9. James0816

Bad, bad feeling. Only found one baby today. So not happy right now. Something definately not right. Just goes to show you how much 2g of water makes a difference.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Have you tested the water to see if somethings amiss?

Hopefully the others are still in there & just hiding very well.

11. James0816

Unfortunately no luck. Only one spotted today. It is not even one of the bigger ones. That jug of water had to be fouled. I can not find any other explaination. Found more baby shrimp but no oto's.

Water Test today:
    Temp: 74
    PH: ~ 7.4
    Ammonia ~ 0
    NitrAte ~ 40
    GH: ~ 11
    KH: ~ 6

Turned the airstone on again for about an hour. My snails are kinda out of the shells as I can see their antenea and occassionly their siphon tube but that's it. No movement around like they used to.

I may do another 25% wc tomorrow.

Just majorly bummed.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--amazed your nitrates are 40 with just doing the waterchange, although I do know 40 is still in the okay range as far as that goes.

Amazed Mine has been keeping at 20 (especially being I had the initial issue with the nitrates being high)

13. James0816

My usual parms. My wc's are small as well to minimize tank "mood" swings. ;o)

14. James0816

Little good news today. Went down to remove the remains of the zuccinni and search for wee ones. While searching for the little ones, I was looking through the back of the tank. I found two eggs in the crypt jungle. I also noticed that one of the snails had moved a bit and looked as if it was digging in.

Went back to the front of the tank and searched the crypt jungle again, found (4) more eggs.

Found mamma still muching on one of the zuccinni's so decided to leave that one in. Chose to remove the second piece. Since the second slice was right under the second grouping of eggs, I had to carefully negotiate the net to pull it out.

My daughter came down and joined the search for babies. She discovered one...the big one! Awesome! So I now know that at least one of the older babies had survived. Leaves me a little hope. No other babies were found.

We also found another snail was also moving around and burrowing in. While watching this snail dig, I found (2) more eggs in the crypt jungle.

Found even more baby yellow shrimp as well.

Decided not to do the 25% wc today due to findings.

Tank Status as of 05/18:

(1) bigger sized baby ~ 1/4"
    (8) new eggs.

Here's a couple of pics of two of the egg groupings:
    eggs1_051809.JPG eggs2_051809.JPG

15. James0816

05/19:

Completed spot check today.

Spirits definately looking up.

Oto Update: Three eggs hatched out. One in the process of hatching as I type. I was watching this event for several minutes prior to dinner. Took several pics. Getting ready to check them out. Remaining six eggs still looking good. Mamma continues to work over the zuccinni carcase. I know I need to pull it out as it is mushing up pretty good but if she's still working it....I'll let her have it til tomorrow when I replace with fresh.

Only baby found today was the big guy. Continues to remain active. He is working over the Rotala sp. 'green' more now then the crypts.

Snails: All five briggs are moving about now. Yea!!! Found two sharing the same stem. Almost looks as if they are making out. Makes me feel so much better.

Water Test pending.

16. James0816

Here's a couple shots:

1) The big baby

2) Hatching in progress

3) Baby yellow
    bigbaby.JPG hatching_0519.JPG babyyellow_0519.JPG

17. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

That is cool!

18. James0816

Water test results: Same as last reported.

19. James0816

05/20

All eggs have hatched. One wiggler spotted. Getting ready drop in more zuccinni.

Here's another pic of the big baby:
    bigbaby_052009.JPG

20. James0816

05/21 Update: (5) wiggle waggles spotted. All continues to go well.

Unfortunately I will have to make a change to the tank this weekend. I will have to do some plant trimming. I have one large ricca mat floating on top and anoter smaller one that formed up. I'm wondering if I should leave it or remove it.

Wife lightened the pic of the big baby up a bit. Looks much better. I still gotta work on my photo skills. ;)