1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

The Oto Journal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by James0816, May 13, 2009.

1. James0816

James0816 Thread Starter New Member

Friends, I can honestly say in a year and a half of doing this, I have never seen anything of likes of what is in the holding tank. Never. I know Mama Oto over in the main tank has had her share of spawns but it just doesn't compare. I'd be willing to bet that there were at least (3) females involved with this spawn session. Absolutely no way of counting the eggs. There are just that many. And, they are litterally everywhere to include the sand! Yes, you read right, they are even laid on the sand!

There are quite a few non-viable eggs and most of those are the ones on the substrate. However, there are still a ton on the sand bed that are good. It seems that almost every plant has eggs on them. No eggs on the glass or driftwood though which I find surprising in that they are on the sand. Very odd.

I'm also wondering if the amount of non-viable ones could be partially my fault as I walked in on them while the spawn was in progress. Just a hunch. I snapped off quite a few shots and getting ready to go through them and see what comes out. There's a bit of current going through the tank due to water level so we'll see what turns out.

Stand by....

2. James0816

Ok...here are some shots from today:

Here's some eggs on a couple of small crypt plants:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoEggs1_112010.jpg

ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoEggs2_112010.jpg

Eggs on the sand (yellow balls):
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoEggs6_112010.jpg

And here is a shot of newly hatched fry with new eggs below:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoEggs5_112010.jpg

3. James0816

Just got back from removing non viable from the leaves. Counted just over (60) on the ground. There were about (12) on leaves. The light went out before I could suck them out but that will be ok until tomorrow. The Java Fern is just littered with eggs. All up in there.

4. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Awesome, I havnt even attempted OTO's breeding yet. Im trying to keep up with these darn angels and pangio oblonga's

5. James0816

Pretty busy day seperating good eggs from bad. Some of the eggs were non-viable and started fuzzing up. Problem is, they were next to good eggs. Had to get them seperated. Some were pretty easy as I just took a needle and was able thread it through the good and bad and then seperate.

Others were a little more difficult. I would up removing the group of eggs which were mostly groups of three with one bad egg. I would scrape them off where they would fall on the ground. Then, using a dosing syringe, suck them out and place them in a lid with water. Then using two needles would seperate them. The good eggs were placed back in the tank.

Here's and example:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoEggs2_112110.jpg

What was very interesting, is the second group that I seperated, when the eggs were released back into the tank, they were hatching. Way kewl! One egg got to about two inches from the substrate when the fry guy broke loose and swam to a near by leaf of a sag.

I would probably have to say it's about 50/50 from good to bad. There are fry guys all over the tank and eggs still waiting to hatch. I'm still astonished as to how many total eggs there are in this tank. I think tomorrow I'll be able to start removing all the bad ones.

Here's a few more shots from today:

This is a pretty good developmental shot:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoEggs1_112110.jpg

And a couple of new fry guys:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoFry1_112110.jpg

ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_Otocinclus_20Breeding_OtoFry2_112110.jpg

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Instead of a syringe try a turkey baster, the hole is a little larger and makes egg retrieving much easier. just a tip I use because the syringe was a little too small to safely suck the egg's i deal with up.

Congrats on the wigglers, they look really neat, almost like little pleco's

7. James0816

Thanks.

The syringe or dosing dropper or what ever you want to call it, ;o) , has nice big opening. It's one of those 5ml dosing dropper thingies that you can get at Wal-Mart for kiddie meds. Has came in very handy and the opening is just the right size for retrieving eggs and small fry. Good point on the turkey baster too. I've tried them before but found just too bulky to try and manuever around in the tank.

8. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I think I't a eye-dropper?

9. James0816

Nah..much bigger...we'll call it a minature turkey baster...how's that? :)

10. James0816

The Oto Journal - Update 26-Nov-2010

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Morning check of things was promising and yet strange at the same time.

Yet another spawn taking place right now in the holding tank. [scratches head]. Two females engaged in this one that I observed. Here's the interesting part of it. While the tank parms are showing ok, the tank itself is not all the great. Zucchini that was placed in the tank two days ago has fuzzed over and of course it's a bit on the messy side with the feeding of the new fry. Found a few roaming around this morning, so at there are some survivors from last spawn.

I'm still going to do a large, well...25% water change today. Hopefully won't disrupt things too much. There are still some bad eggs in there from last spawn that I wanted to get cleaned out.

That's the good thing about research. Just when you think you have a grasp on things...they can change in the blink of an eye. ;o)

11. James0816

Looks like I'll start moving some of the juvies over the holding tank today. They are pretty nice sized at this point. Did a 25% water change in the tank yesterday. Didn't see any of the eggs this morning. Interesting. I'm starting to wonder if there may be some snarfage going on in there.

12. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Humn...
    I hope not o.o;
    That makes things harder, lol

13. James0816

Another spawn in the holding tank. And as the pattern goes with the past few spawns....more non-viable eggs. Can't quite figure this one out. {scratches head}. Removed (8) bad eggs. Hopefully I won't find any tomorrow but that seems unlikely.

Still need to remove the juvies from the main tank. I have to at least thin them out this weekend regardless.

14. James0816

As expected, I found more non-viable eggs. Hmmmmm....puzzleing. I will be doing a water change and some cleaning in there tomorrow. Have to figure out a time when I can split the Java Fern. I'll make a big swing at when the fry allow.

My plan is to pull the big fern, replace with a smaller one and add a snippet of 'Trident' as well. Then I'll add some additional stems for more grazing area.

15. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Could it be that one of the ones breeding are sterile? Or maybe the male can't actually keep up or some strange thing as this?
    Try adding another male know to be able to breed?

One of my female guppies are sterile. Despite all the hits she gets, not once has she ever made a drop. Or even show signs of being pregnant. She's even still thin and looks virgin.

16. James0816

Could be something to consider. However, not all the eggs go sour during the spawn. Just a majority of them. This only started the last few spawns. Hopefully they will snap out of it. But then again, I'm getting ready to move another large batch into the tank so the spawning may just stop all together for a spell. With winter setting in, I'll have to try and find homes locally for this group to avoid shipping under winter conditions.

17. mirandaf

mirandaf New Member

I might be interested in a few. I am up in the area all the time visiting my parents.

18. James0816

Just let me know. Didn't you get some plants from me not too long ago? CapitalOne right?

19. mirandaf

mirandaf New Member

Yep. That is me. Plants are perking right along.

20. James0816

Thought so. Glad they are doing well for ya.