1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

The Oto Journal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by James0816, May 13, 2009.

1. James0816

James0816 Thread Starter New Member

Update: 12-Dec-2010

Fry Catching Day! Oh what fun. Taking a quick break. 15 minutes in and only caught 8 so far. Gotta luv it! I can't use my trap with how many shrimp are in there....but then again...maybe get it set anyway and use it as a secondary method. Hmmmmm...why did I just think of that. I can always fish out the shrimp later. ;o)

Back at it.

2. James0816

Fry catching for the day is done. 20 little fry guys are acclimating to the holding tank. What a challenge! lol. I'll slowly work on the rest throughout the week. My trap worked a little bit. Wound up even catching one of the Briggs. He got out before I could get the camera.

3. James0816

While checking on the Propinqua shrimp this morning, I noticed eggs next door in the holding tank. Good sign as the latest additions to the tank didn't have any impact on spawning. Now the question will be of course, are these going to be good eggs or not?

It's funny, how these spawns always seem to occur the day before a scheduled water change. Interesting. They aren't set days either (just to rule out a timing thing). I just tell myself "self...tomorrow you will do a water change". :)

And another interesting find in this tank, I saw a fry that is only a couple days old this morning as well. So obviously, there was an additional spawn (partial probably) that went undetected. I never saw any eggs so must have been in the Java Fern.

4. mirandaf

mirandaf New Member

PM me with prices if you have some Otos to sell.

5. James0816

Funny you mention that as I posted in the Trading Post not too long ago. :D

6. James0816

Catching little guys from the holding tank was a fun little task this morning. The fry kept getting in the way. From the newbies to the ones that are a few weeks old. I would place the net over a juvie on the glass and one of the fry would lite just above it preventing me from sliding the net upwards. Sometimes they would even lite right next to one I was getting ready to net. Was comical actually. ;o)

Stirred up a couple of huge females during this process. There may be another spawn in the works within the next couple of days. Activity levels are on the increase again.

Will be pulling the remaining juvies out of the main tank between today and Sunday. I may decide to do some trimming in there at the same time.

Getting close to the 100 mark of Oto's rehomed. May have to do something special for that milestone. Maybe offer that package free of charge (not counting shipping of course) to the lucky person. Have to do something kewl.

7. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

lol
    That'd be cool.

8. James0816

The Oto Journal - Update 03-Jan-2011

I like surprises. Water change in the holding tank yesterday morning as scheduled. All going well. Still a few little ones left in that tank. Will have to transfer over the others from the main tank this week.

Later that day while checking on things, I found a wiggler on the glass. Never saw any eggs so they must have laid some in the Java Fern. Only saw the one though.

Looked over the tank pretty good yesterday and this morning but saw no sign of eggs.

Main tank needs some major work. Might be too thick for them to move around in. ;) Trimming on tap for this week as well as relocation of juvies as mentioned.

9. James0816

Spotted some more wiggle waggles in the holding tank today. Awesome. Doing quite nicely considering I didn't know they were there. :)

Getting ready to start on the main tank. Gonna be a big task involving trimming, minor vac and catching of juvies. Yay Me!

10. James0816

Work continues on the main tank. I have captured 10 more juvies. Looks like I may have about 10 more to go. All the crypts are out now. Small vac is next and then I'll start replanting.

11. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

So, how many fish have you raised to maturity as of now? I'm just curious.

12. James0816

The Oto Journal - Update 09-Jan-2011

More eggs found in the holding tank today. It's really crowded in there as I have been pulling plants from the main tank and just laying them in there. Obvisouly hasn't detered the activity. ;)

Almost done with the main tank. Have a small issue with the crypts though. I have no medium sized ones to put in there. They are all large or small. Has made the tank pretty bright. I think I can work around that.

This tank continues to amaze me between the Oto's, plants, (2) clutches of Briggs eggs and now the shrimp. I have blue tigers appearing and just yesterday found one with orange eyes.

Prepping zucchini to feed and need to recharge CO2.

13. James0816

The Oto Journal - Update 17-Jan-2011

Mom and Pop Oto hanging tight today. Activity picking up in the tank. Did a small water change in it today. The Tigers and Briggs are cruising all over the place.

Over in the holding tank, found a couple of wigglers. Big water change in there.

Fresh zucchini prepped and fed tonight.

14. James0816

The Oto Journal - Update 23-Jan-2011

Latest spawn was a dud. Every egg was bad! Dang! :( Gonna go do some water tests to see if anything stands out. After which, I'll clean up the eggs, do a small water change and start over.

Will be recharging the CO2 today and prep up a fresh batch of zucchini.

15. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Aww =(
    Hope then next is better.

16. James0816

17. James0816

Bad incident this morning. Lost power sometime early this morning. Was out for a few hours. Around 0600ish, everything came back on. I checked things and at first glance, everything seemed ok. I did have to restart two filters. Would know more when I get back home after work.

Only one tank turned out to have issues. I lost two little ones in the holding tank. Doing a 25% water change in there now.

Also scrapped off all the bad eggs. Must have been well over 50. Bad sight to see.

All other tanks were just fine. The only other casulties were in my salt tanks.

18. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Sorry to hear that =(

19. James0816

The Oto Journal - Update 22-Feb-2011

Still not much happening in the breeding world. Hopefully they are just taking a break after the last failed attempt. The females are huge like they are getting ready to explode!

Taking this opportunity to do some major trimming. Working with the holding tank first. Wow. The Sags and Crypts have done very, very well in here. I know I keep saying it, but definately need to work on that Java Fern. It's half the tank!

I want to rescape it and replace the cypress knee with something else and of course this would eliminate the JF for the most part. I'm still thinking though.

I'll follow this up with thinning the crypts in the Cocama tank and then hit the main tank.

20. manta975

manta975 New Member

wow heard otos are very hard to get to bread. How many of them are in that 10 gallon (not any juveniles) i have 4 in my rather bare 10 gallon but i doubt they would ever breed how my tank s now.anyway hope you eventually get some to adult hood.