1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

The Oto Journal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by James0816, May 13, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Truly sorry about your father, you have my sincere condol.

2. James0816

James0816 Thread Starter New Member

09/25: Was setting up to do another 10% WC and I found eggs. Current count is 24. However, Papa Oto missed one and not viable making the count 23. Continuing with water change. Going to be using a smaller tube this time in an effort to clean up some detrius on the bottom.

On a side note, Boris and Natasha not acting all that well. They are usually active but the past couple of days have been rather lethargic. Hopefully I can regain the momentum on the tank and they will recover. Still no hatching of Natasha's eggs. Not really sure what to do with them at this point.

3. Aironia

Aironia New Member

On a side note, Boris and Natasha not acting all that well

those are the snails?

4. James0816

Yep...those are my two remaining briggs in the tank

5. Aironia

Aironia New Member

what is not acting right? i mean, i love my snails but how would i know if they arent acting right lol

and i love just how personal your relationship is with your snails. while its amusing i can tell your serious about them. I feel the same way about my two flower shrimp. I have conversations with them. My husband thinks im nuts.

6. James0816

9/26: Tank is really in a state of disrepair. Just found that the food and zucchini that was placed in the tank yesterday is all fuzzed over. Then the shocking discovery....most of the eggs are fuzzed over as well. Very bad. Have no choice but to attempt a major cleaning. Just have to pray that I don't disrupt the tank any further.

7. James0816

Definately not an easy process thats for sure. Guess that is a draw back to using SMS. You can't vac it unless you suck it all out. Got about 1/4 of the tank "somewhat" done. Best thing I could do was to stir up a section and then create a swirling motion with the syphon tube to clean the area. Not the best of jobs but between that and moving the filter to the area I am working on, hopefully it will be enough.

I also took a large eye dropper to remove as much of the fungused eggs I could. I did have to sacrifice a viable egg as it was right up against a bad one. Couldn't seperated them. Poo!

Giving it a break to let the water stabilize then I'll do another section.

8. James0816

09/27: Remaining eggs hatched today. Only counted (5) wigglers. I have most of the plants bunched up around the crypt jungle while I cleaned the other side so maybe there are some more hiding out in there.

Lost (4) yellow shrimp overnight. There numbers have greatly declined. Boris and Natasha still acting a little on the lethargic side. Still hoping they make a speedy recovery.

So as it stands right now, there are two adults (mom and dad), 6 juvies and 5 wigglers.

Will be doing a water test later today to check the parameters.

9. Aironia

Aironia New Member

So have any babies reached maturity?

10. James0816

Yep...six as of now (see above). ;o)

11. Aironia

Aironia New Member

well i saw the juvies, but that's not what i was thinking. some of them have to be a few months old now right? is there still a difference in their size they cant be called adults? just curious. :D

12. James0816

lol...actually a good question. I would still consider them as juvies. There is one that is about 1/2 mama's size. No where near any size that I have seen at the LFS on sale. That is what I am comparing them to.

I can say one thing though....these six guys are extremely active. The older one not as much so as the others. Two seperate batches might be the reason. The youngest five are just characters.

13. James0816

09/29: Still working on getting the tank back in shape. Went to put a "cage" (if you will) around the area where the heater is. My plan is to put the Subwassertang on this grid in front of the heater. Just something to attach it to.

So...to do this, I had to move the HOB back to it's original location. When I moved this, I noticed more wigglers! Kewlness. They are hanging out right where I was going to put the grid. So that is on hold at the moment until they relocate peacfully. :)

Natasha still sitting where she has been. No movement. I do see her wisker hanging out so hoping for the best. Boris is starting to move about a bit as well.

Wiggler count now up to (10). Will start placing plants back in place soon.

14. James0816

09/30: Did a water test today:

Temp: 78
    PH: 7.4
    NH3: 0
    NO2: 0
    NO3: 20 (bit lower than normal but I have not been dosing ferts in a while)
    KH: 5
    GH: 8

KH and GH numbers are lower than normal as well.

Fert dosing resumes tomorrow.

I have given it a bit of an overhaul in regards to the plants. Will snap a new pic when the tank settles. Still alot of particulates floating around from planting.

I removed all the mosses (peacock and fissidens). I think the fissidens may have perished but moved it to another tank to see if it will recover.

I added Lobelia Cardinalis 'small form', Littorella Uniflora and L.repens X arcuata.

Found all (10) wigglers today so hopefully they will continue to grow. Added 1g spring water to bring the water level back up.

Boris (boss brig) is moving around again. Feeling good about that. I noticed Natasha (la fem brig) occassionally peeking out but still not venturing around.

15. James0816

10/01: All seems to be doing ok today. Everyone swimming around doing their thing. Not going to be doing much today as I have taken a headache. I hate those things.

Took a few pictures. Here's one of the new babies. He's on the grid that I am making to put in front of the heater. I will be cutting a second grid to place behind this. I will then fill in between the two with SMS and plant Echinodorus Angustifolia.

ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_BabyOtoCats_baby1_100109.jpg

16. James0816

10/02: Daily check and feeding. Surprise! Mama laying more eggs. Counted (33) as of now. She wasted no time breaking in the new plants. The L. Arcuata has quite a few on it. Crypt jungle still harbors the most of them. I have been contimplating thining it out, but if she is continuing to lay here, I can't bring myself to disturb her dwellings.

Wigglers continuing to grow. Couldn't get an acurate count as they are still very active. They are starting to color up nicely.

I'm going through some pics I just snapped. We'll see if any come out good.

17. James0816

10/02: Looks like I got off a few good shots today. I'll break it down into two seperate posts.

We'll start with Mama. When I snapped this pic, I didn't notice the wigger behind her:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_MamaOto1_100209.jpg

Eggs found today:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_OtoEggs1_100209.jpg

Egg on the L. Repens. There's a wiggler just behind it on another leaf but it is blurry.
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_OtoEggs2_100209.jpg

Here I was trying to get a pic of the wiggler. Found the eggs below it:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_OtoEggs3_100209.jpg

18. James0816

Additional Photos today (10/02):

Shots of the wigglers:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_BabyOto1_100209.jpg

ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_BabyOto2_100209.jpg

ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_BabyOto3_100209.jpg

ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_BabyOto4_100209.jpg

19. James0816

Getting ready to head out to Haloween Haunt at Kings Dominion. Did one last check. Found (13) more eggs.

Mama has her girlish figure back. :)

20. James0816

10/04: Hatching began a little earlier than I thought. Figured I had until late this afternoon. Minor snag in the water change, but will still do a trickle from the HOB to do it.

Found some eggs turned fuzzy. Water quality still an issue. Have to try to come up with a safe schedule to get it back. Think also where they were laid has poor circulation. May look at adjusting the HOB a little more center to try and get coverage.

Still a few more eggs left to hatch. Here's some shots from today: Wigglers not the easiest thing to snap (for me that is).
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_BabyOto1_100409.jpg

Had more eggs than I originally found on the Lobelia. You can see the ball of fuzz in the upper center. Four eggs are in there. Few wigglers (one to the left and one to the right) and a couple on the under sides of the leaves.
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_BabyOto2_100409.jpg

Bonus shot: Couldn't resist the poser:
    ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_YellowShrimp_100409.jpg