1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

think i can do this?

Discussion in 'Goldfish, Koi, Pond Fish' started by Anonymous, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

So I am planning to get 9 goldfish into a 10 gallon tank and before you guys say I can't do that. Just listen first. I am planning to get 9 baby goldfish into a 10 gallon and as they grow up i will transfer them into a 29 or 55g tank and when they get even bigger, i think i will buy 100+ gallon tank. But as of now, will that be okay for the fish?

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

The short answer "no"

Rick

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

agree with Rick, better off just starting with the big tank and saving the money from all the future tank and equipment upgrades imo.

Ps. Most 55>90>and 110g aquariums have the same footprint in case you didn't know (differ in height) :)

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

no not cause u cant do it. it's just bioload will be a lot and most owners never up grade im sorry but im not saying your not a responsible owned but it would be better with a bigger tank

5. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

The bioload is huge. I've kept overstocked goldfish tanks and to be perfectly honest, if you do major water changes every few days, you can keep them alive quite a while, but its a LOT of work. Even if the tanks cycles with a few fish in it, with 9 goldfish the ammonia levels will constantly bild up more than the tank can handle. You'll basically be poisoning these fish a little each day they live. Do you really want to live with the fact that your seemingly healthy fish are getting burnt by chemicals daily?

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

Grow-out tanks are not uncommon. However...9 goldies in a 10g...ICK! They can be some pretty fast growers to boot. I just don't think it would work out rather well.

Short answer...IMO...no

With that many...you might as well just go ahead and put them in the 55.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I agree with everyone above. 9 goldfish (fancy or comet) in a 10 gallon tank is not a good idea at all. Being that crowded so early will likely cause stunting pretty quickly.

8. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

What usually wakes people up to overstocking is when you put the goldfish in the new bigger tank and they turn black. The black is healing from all of the chemical burns from too high of a bioload. You could always do what I call the Japanese method and buy two 10 gallon tanks and put the fish in 100% clean water daily.