1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

think they will survive?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by kwheeler91, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Aironia

Aironia New Member

OMG you have a baby clown loach ...whos band doesnt connect!!! Id pay good money for that fish! All my loaches have spots. Have NEVER found a loach like that one, although ive looked and looked.

Back to the eel. WOW hes nice. How big does he get? So hes a meat eater? is he aggressive? my son would LOVE one of those. (since dawn said no to the rope fish)

Thanks a ton for going thru all the trouble posting pics, i enjoyed them ;)

2. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

np :) ya i think the other babies band doesnt either.. gettin um for 5-6 aat my lfs. saw one at petco the other day who had barely a middle band, more just a spot on his back, wanted to buy really bad but there was one in with him that looked like he might have spironucleus or hexamita so i couldnt risk it.
    Anyway...
    im not sure how large the eel gets ive never been able to find a lot of info on him. ive had it for about a year now. it was about 3in and now it is somewhere around 6. mine is really peaceful, often shy until it get use to you and you can even had feed it. he used to chase my serpaes around the tank but it look more like somethin fun for him than anything so i would say no on th agression. only eats live or frozen foods like bs or bloodworms. i strongly recommend these guys he is my favorite fish. lots of personality withouth the enormous size of most spiny eels.

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Airona if I'm not wrong they get pretty big, over 10'' I guess, could be mistaking tho

4. kwheeler91

ive seen sites that say 6 inches or so abd mines probably a little over that at a little over a year old. keep in mind i had it in a ten gallon for a long time and fed him twice a day... so maybe a larger tank early in life with increased feddings would make them grow faster. i dont really notice of it gets a little bigger cuz i see him all the time, but it seems if thy arent growing in length they bulk up

5. Aironia

Aironia New Member

Distribution:
    The Zig Zag Eel was described by Lacepède in 1800. They are found in Asia: Pakistan to Viet Nam and Indonesia. They have been found in still waters but primarily inhabit moving waters, such as rivers and streams with sandy to pebbly bottoms. They are nocturnal and will sometimes partially bury themselves in the substrate during the day, coming out at night to feed on insects larvae, worms, and vegetation. They are used as a food fish in their native countries.

The species is not listed on the IUCN Red List.

Description:
    The body of the Zig Zag Eel is elongated with a long snout. Both the dorsal and anal fins are extended and joined to the caudal fin. Its background coloration is a tan to light brown and it has a dark horizontal stripe running through the eye.
    Along the entire length of the body it is patterned with a series of irregular dark markings, but the pattern is only on the upper two thirds of the body leaving the lower portion mostly plain. These markings have a 'tire track' or 'zig zag' appearance which has been used as a common name for this fish as well as several other species of spiny eel.

Size - Weight:
    These fish can grow as long as 35 inches (90 cm), though they will not generally exceed about 20 inches" (51 cm) in captivity.

Care and feeding:
    The Tire Track Eels are primarily carnivores. Like all spiny eels they prefer a diet of live and fresh frozen foods such as brine shrimp, black worms, earthworms or bloodworms. Some Tire Track Eels can be trained to eat freeze dried brine shrimp or bloodworms but this is not something that can be counted on. They will also eat small fishes so make sure their tank mates are too large to be able to fit into their mouths.
    If their tank has a sand or fine gravel substrate, they may burrow into it. Make sure they have plenty of hiding places so they will feel secure in their new home. This species of spiny eel can eventually grow to be quite large so plan accordingly. That cute little 4 inch fish could grow close to 3 feet long! Keep small specimens up to 6 inches in a tank that is at least 36 inches long and about 35 gallons. Larger specimens will need an even bigger area, tanks that are 48 inches in length or longer and 55 gallons and up will be necessary. Provide a tight fitting lid as spiny eels are escape artists. These fish respond poorly to copper based medications, so these should be avoided.

Social Behaviors:
    They are a nocturnal species but are generally peaceful and shy. They mostly ignore other tankmates although they may eat fish that are small enough to fit into their mouths. Some species of spiny eels can get territorial and aggressive with their own kind so a general rule of thumb is to keep them singly unless you plan to breed.

Water Region: Top, Middle, Bottom:
    Zig Zag Eels will spend most of their time on the bottom of the aquarium.

Acceptable Water Conditions:
    Temp: 72 - 82° F (22 - 28° C)
    Hardness: 15 dGH
    pH: 6.5 - 7.5

Sexual Differences:
    Sexual differences are unknown and it is almost impossible to identify the sexes, though a mature female may be more full bodied.

Breeding/Reproduction:
    The Zig Zag Eel has not been bred in captivity. Only a few spiny eels have been bred in the aquarium, possibly because they are generally kept singly rather than in a group where a male and female can find each other. Though it is not documented what makes them spawn, trying to emulate the bounty of the flood season can help stimulate breeding behavior. Feed more and higher quality food than you normally would and providing an influx of clean water. Their courtship lasts for several hours, where they chase each other and swim in circles.
    The eggs are deposited among floating plants. They are sticky so will adhere to the plants and then hatch in 3 to 4 days. The fry becoming free swimming a few more days after that and should be fed nauplii. The fry are something of a challenge to raise as they are susceptible to fungal infections. Regular water changes and the use of an antifungal water treatment can help.

Availability:
    The Zig Zag Eel is commonly available and reasonably priced. Be aware when purchasing that the Zig Zag Eel is often misidentified in its common name as the Tire Track Eel Mastacembelus favus. As these two similar looking eels attain a much different adult size it is important to know which eel you are purchasing. The Tire Track Eel can grow to about 28" in length while the Zig Zag Eel can reach up to 36".

Author: Clarice Brough, CFS

6. kwheeler91

idk ill just have to wait and see becuase i have seen many different descriptions of this eel. there are other eels that look like it so it might be confused with others but in any case its a cool fish and isnt going to harm your little tetras and what not. ive kept it with serpaes, neons, embers, ottos, ghost shrimp(though he might have eaten these), and now keep him with clown loaches and banjo and in all cases he and all the others have been fine.

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I actually the think when he seems fit he'll eat the tetras.

8. kwheeler91

i doubt it... he would have to be really really big to accomplish that. his mouth is too small. and if you had him that long he would be used to the little fish not being food items, and unless you raised him with little fish, not exactly sure why you would put tetras in with a 3 foot eel...

9. Aironia

Aironia New Member

If i can find one, im gonna give it a try. If he grows to quickly ill put him in my main tank...which should be fine at full size.

Hopefully ill find one thats only two to three inches long

10. kwheeler91

i recommend getting one they are cool. ive only seen those kind at 3-4 inches. hope you find one and good luck

11. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Only problem with them is that they constantly hide. I had one years ago that got to almost 2 feet but would really only see him when it was feeding time. Very nice pattern on the body though. It would eat anything that fit in his mouth. Unfortunetly he trid to eat a cory cat and it got logged in his throat. He died a few days later. I don't think that is a zig zag eel in those pictures however. The pattern is not right on the body. Maybe it will change once it gets bigger.

12. kwheeler91

well it was sold to me as a zigzag eel. i found i think i one site that said it was something else. then again you might be thinking of the tiretrack eel, which i believe is confused with the zigzag. then again im not a doctor of ichthyology or whatever and i just know hes cool and and how to take care of him without him dying, since he has lived this long, and thats all that matters in my opinion. :)

13. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

My bad mine was a tire track eel. I just looked at some pictures. Yours is the zigzag alright. He seems to come out in the open a lot. They should have a sand substrate though I believe.

14. kwheeler91

he does fine in the gravel. its kind of small and its all almost completely rounded smooth. he lives in a log with my two original clown loaches anyway and when he does bury himself he doesnt seem to mind. hes out all the time, i can hand feed him if i want too. a lot less shy than most spiny eels ive seen

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I removed your duplicate post ;)

16. kwheeler91

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

np, anytime ;)