1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Thinking of trying

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by WarthogWilly, Jul 26, 2009.

1. WarthogWilly

WarthogWilly Thread Starter New Member

What size tank should i start with to breed endlers??? Is 10 to small???
    Or would 20 be better? Also do you set these tanks up like normal, with small ston bottoms.....I wasnt sure if the babies woul get stuck or hurt themselves in the crevices.......

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Bigger is ALWAYS better!
    A)Provides you with more room
    B)More room = easier to maintain stability

Are you going planted or not? IF your going planted I'd say Eco-Complete for substrate since it won't affect your waters chemistry.

IF your not going planted I'd go with something tightly packed such as pool filter sand. If you want something dark substrate wise you could do Seachem Onyx Sand which claims to be good for plants also consequently.

I've also done CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand which always looks nice :)

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

How many are you starting out with ?

4. WarthogWilly

what would you recommend starting out with, i think my wife would get more interested in fish if we can get some to have babies, and i hear these can breed like rabbits, so id like to find like a 20 gal on cl, with all the goodies, so how many would a newbie start out with??? like 2 females and 4 males??

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

if your looking for fast breeding (endlers, guppies, mollies, swordtails, male&Female Bristlenose plecos haha!)
    Basically any livebearer will do the trick..just remember High Female to male ratio to prevent aggression/deaths (ie. 4-5 females to each male)

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well if you want pure Endler's I wouldn't purchase them from a random person on CraigsList.

If you want 20 you need to start out with a 20 gallon tank. A 10 will be too crowded in several weeks after the females have fry. If you're set on a 10 gallon I would do 5 females and a male. It will still become crowded rather quickly but it will give you a couple months before you need to purchase a larger tank.

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

^^^buy them from anthony!

8. WarthogWilly

mollies are live bearers????????or did i misunderstand that, also is the gravel ok or is sand a better option?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes mollies are livebearers too. Gravel is perfectly fine.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sand is better ime>>packs tighter preventing food/waste from getting through (if that makes sense)..keeps everything right on top making it easier for inhabitants to keep it clean and much easier when it comes to siphoning.

Gravel works too, but harder to siphon when theres babies involved (won't be able to see them and a chance you could suck them up) unless placing a net or white bottomed bucket at the end of the siphon so you can catch/easily spot the fry.

11. WarthogWilly

never thought of that, ive had some suction problems with adult mollies in the past........dad went for a waterslide ride right into the filter.......poor guy

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--that is why I use pre-filter sponges