1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

tiger barb additions

Discussion in 'Cyprinid Fish' started by lethalcustoms00, Apr 30, 2010.

1. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 Thread Starter Member

i bought a 55 with 3 tiger barbs in it and i want to add some more. the 3 already in the tank are adults and im afrid that if i add some juveniles they will all get beat on. any feedback?

2. Wireless-Anthony

Wireless-Anthony New Member

You may have to remove the adults and put in the new guys first. Let then get adjusted for a few days then add one adult at a time.

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i agree with Anthony...if you're not able to remove the adults then you could try this, before adding the juvies, do a big water change (50 - 75%), rearrange decor, add new fish, leave the lights off and cover the tank with towels or small blanket (make it as dark as possible) and leave it like this over night. with the confussion of waterchange, decor moved around, and darkness should keep the aggression down on the new additions. i do this when i add new fish to my african cichlid tank.

4. lethalcustoms00

lethalcustoms00 Thread Starter Member

ok i added some more fish to the tank and it went well. I think that they must have been so bored that having a small group of them to school with made them feel better. i have 5 green tiger barbs and 3 rosy barbs added to the group now and they all seem to be happy to have a school now.