1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Turtle (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by gamerout, Jul 14, 2008.

1. gamerout

gamerout Thread Starter New Member

Turtles
    I have just caught a male red eared slider about 8 inches long. I have a 45 gallon tank in it for him with a few filters and stands for him.

Might anyone have some suggestions for what else to add?

And should I also try to catch some minnows and such from the lake I found him in to help the adjustment?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Turtles

Do you have a "beach" area in the tank ? If not you might want to try doing that.

As far as food goes, I wouldn't worry about the minnows. Just get some good quality turtle food and he should adapt pretty quickly.

3. gamerout

gamerout Thread Starter New Member

Working on building a stand that will allow him to go into a sandbox.

4. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

After you do what Anthony said with the beach thing he should be happy

5. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

How easy was it to catch him? Turtles can be wily even if they are slow :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Informative Turtle Site (Announcement)

GREAT TURTLE SITE!!
    If you have turtles as well as fish, I have found a GREAT turtle site!!

I found it when I was searching for a turtle like the turtle I had-it is a HUGE
    site, and there are all kinds of stuff on there-plants, rocks...and especially turtle forums. I learned a lot about keeping fish and turtles from this site, and I highly reccomend it!! ;)

7. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

Re: GREAT TURTLE SITE!!

What kind of turtle did you have?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for directing me to this great website.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

To "crazedpuffer"-please forgive me for not replying to your inquiry as to what kind of turtle I have-but I got busy at work. I'm working extra hours (basically unpaid) as the boss let some poeple go...and I do not want to be next.

I HAD a Chocolate brown snapping turtle with darker chocolate brown specks all over his body and shell. He had a golden yellow underside, he was a hard shell, the edge of his shell was serrated like a saw blade, and he had these same "saw blade" effect going up his shell along the back.

I don't know what he was. I had him about 5 years ago-had to re-home my fish because I had to move into a samll place, and didn't have room for the tank.

I found him in a pet store-he had come in with an order of plants, and he had set up house keeping there and was eating up all the guppies in the tank. The fish store guy didn't know what he was either, except he was some kind of a snapping turtle. I have been going thru turtle photos, when I have time, to try and find him as I want another one! He was a great pet!. I put a shelf in the tank for him so he could get out of the warter. He ate fresh and frozen brine shrimp, feeder guppies (but for some reason, after chomping on the first few, he left the fish in the tank alone) he would also eat turtle pellets, fish food on the floor of the tank, and cat fish pellets. He was smaller than a silver dollar in size, and he figured out really quick that I was a room service waiter. He would get on the shelf and scratch on the tank when he wanted to be fed. For some reason-this was a rather easy to hear noise. He slept at night on the shelf if I remembered to shut off the lights about midnight-other wise he would wander around and make a pest of himself all night. (he would wask up and chase the sleeping fish)
    I havn't found a photo of him yet so I would know what he is-but as I have time, I am still looking as I would love to have another.