1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Two more planted 55's

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Unfortunately I live in an apartment so 55's is as large as I dare go. :( No one said how many I could have, tho, so I have 4. Kinda dumb but I need to stick with the rules but doing a bit of bending of them.

(And a 29, 10 and 2 5's)
    June 09.jpg Bows 3-2009.jpg

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I planted the bottom tank the first of June. The plants are now to the waters surface so looking quite a bit different than when the photo was taken already.

Unfortunately, the red plant you see, Ludwigia Pervensis, is a beautiful plant and gives a good eye catcher to your tank but it doesn't do well for me at all. I have 3.5 watts per gallon but this plant needs more than I'm giving it and is losing it's red coloration with all the bottom leaves gone. I'll have to discard it.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I love tanks that look a bit overgrown. ;)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have ludwigia peruensis under 2.88wpg and mine is looking pretty good.
    Are you dosing the tank with Iron?

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

GREAT looking tanks you got there.... I need to get a picture of my 55 and my 125 speaking of which...

I live in a townhouse apartment... well I keep the 125 downstairs... a 55, a 30 and a 20 upstairs :) I pushed the rules too... especially because there is a no pet rule... but they dont see fish and birds as pets :) Go figure!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I think it's because they typically don't roam the house in order to chew/pee/&poo throughout it.

But if they had fish they'd know theres always risk of water spillage (especially during routine maint)...and as for birds poo if they are left to fly around the house at free will.

It's sad in a way, because someone somewhere ruined it for the rest of the apt renters by not properly caring for/cleaning up after their pet.

Thankfully we own, so I don't have to worry about landlord "rules".

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

very nice...

8. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl New Member

LOVE both tanks you have some very beautiful tanks

9. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I dont have to worry about landlord rules either, I just have to worry about parents saying, no more tanks young man, :| (I usually end up getting the stuff I want tho :) )

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks peeps. I appreciate it because starting out I really had a hard time growing plants. I think my problem was, and still is at times, moving them too much. Seems as soon as I get a bit bored I rush to the tanks and start tearing things apart.

Anthony, I actually like tanks with less. I always say "less is more" but I seem to end up with too much vegetation. You can only have smaller fish in a tank this dense and angelfish certainly couldn't get around in there. :)

Dawn, could be I need the plant tabs. I ran out and haven't gotten more and was just using the liquid ferts. Those ludwigia grew like crazy and shot to the waters surface (and out) in no time but I had a foot of stem where all the leaves had fallen off.

I think apartment complex's worry about the water damage to other apartments and too much weight on the floor. But having a 125 gallon sitting here is taking up no more weight than these 55's sitting side by side.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--I skip the plant tabs (but gave in and ordered some for my new amazon sword).
    Try the hagen nutrifin plant spikes (supposed to last a year and have done great by my plants so far).
    link here-> <a class="postlink" href="http://petsolutions.amazonwebstore.com/NUTRAFIN-PLANT-GRO-FERTILIZER-STICKS/M/B00025K1IE.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://petsolutions.amazonwebstore.com/ ... ce=froogle</a>