1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article Types of Food

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

TYPES OF FOOD

Commercially prepared foods sometimes need to be supplemented with fresh items and livefoods. Freeze-dried livefoods tend to be less palatable to fish than thawed livefoods, because they have a lower water content.
    Some livefoods can be cultured at home; a container of water left outdoors in the summer will attract breeding midges and mosquitos, and their larvae can be removed with a sieve. The way in which food is presented to fish is also important. The means of delivery should take account of the fish's normal feeding habits.
    Bottom-feeding catfish, for example, are unlikely tempted by flake floating on the surface.

PREPARED FOODS
    [*]Pellets are good for large fish, such as pacus, which can swallow them whole. They may float for a time before sinking.
    [*]Granules are more dense than pellets and sink rapidly to the floor of the aquarium, making them ideal for bottom-dwellers.
    [*]Flake floats, so it will attract fish to the surface to feed. Suitable for smaller fish, it can also be powdered and fed to fry.
    [*]Tablets are useful for group feeding. They are too large to be swallowed whole, so give the fish time to take several bites.

LIVEFOODS
    [*]Brine Shrimp in their larval form, called nauplii, are idea for rearing fry. They can be hatched from eggs at home.
    [*]Daphnia ("water fleas") are a good conditioning food for smaller fish. These crustaceans can also be used to enhance color.
    [*]Chironomus worms, also known as bloodworms because of their color, are actually the larval form of a type of midge.
    [*]Mosquito larvae are eagerly eaten by many surface-dwelling fish. They may also help to simulate breeding behavior.

FRESH FOODS
    [*]Carrot was used as a natural coloring agent before there were commercial color foods. It is high in fiber and may aid fertility.
    [*]Sliced cucumber and zucchini are a good source of vitamins and roughage for herbivorous catfish and some cichlids.
    [*]Shelled peas, both fresh and thawed are a good dietary supplement for bottom-dwellers; avoid using salted canned peas.
    [*]Beef heart, trimmed of fat, should be used sparingly, since it pollutes the water and may cause obesity in fish.

Also, I can tell you first hand that my plecos,corydoras, and most of my other community type fish just love canned no sodium french cut green beans!

for information regarding feeding view - Fish Feeding Quantity and Frequency

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

now you can talk about how to prepare it!

3. MOD_Dawn

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, know how to prepare food.
    (Ie. Open a can, pop out a frozen cube out of a package, blend in blender and freeze).

4. nossie

nossie Member

Is it really safe to catch fresh foods for your fish? I've of course read that pond fish eat mosquito larvae and other naturally occuring bugs and organisms, but on the other hand I also heard about people getting troubles with disease after feeding their fish with fresh live foods.

Have you tried this many times? No problems at all?
    I thought about feeding my goldfish some more live foods aside from the freeze-dried ones pretty soon, so I'd be happy to learn some more about it :)

5. MOD_Dawn

I've fed cucumber and zuch. with no negative effects.

6. nossie

nossie Member

Yeah, I feed vegetables to my fish several times a week, but I meant the worms. Mosquito larvae and such?

7. MOD_Dawn

haven't tried them, but have even done the live brine in the past.
    I'm sure someone on here has tried/uses the others though.

8. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

It comes down to a lot of thing.
    Live foods that are wild caught, like mosquito larva, have an increased risk of carrying parasites and other nasties into the sterile and healthy water.

Then, there are farm raised foods, that have a lowered risk of any form of illness. But there is still a risk, since most places are just giant vats that no one really watched for heath.

A good thing to do is get live foods that you can raise yourself, feeder guppies, dahnia, micro worms, brine shrimp, fairy shrimp, scuds. The upside is that they come from you, and you know they are disease free. Also you can control their diet and have them richer in nutrients.

The down side is that they aren't as cost efficient for everyone. They require tank space and food themselves. Of the ones I listed, I would say Micro worms are the least work, and great for fry or small fish. Dahnia and Fairy Shrimp require at least 5 gallons of water, and eat dissolved liquid food. They also are easy to take care of, and with good health, make fast reproducers. But adult Fairy Shrimp and Daphni in general make poor food for smaller fish. Scuds are a great scavenger and will eat anything. They are also good for larger fish, but my Endlers have been know to tear any they find apart. Regrettably, they are really good at hiding, and once they hand a hole in your tank to hide in, aren't too likely to leave. I have a large colony in a piece of drift wood that I just can't get rid of.

9. nossie

nossie Member

Interesting... I never knew the reason why this may be dangerous... Awesome, I love learning new things! :D
    Thank you! :)

By the way, what kind of live foods are you feeding your fish?

10. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I've been feeding mine Mirco Worms lately.
    But I've used Fairy Shrimp (fresh water brine shrimp, more or less), wild insect larvae, Dahnia, and scuds. The scuds still are in the tank, but hide too well. So My fish do eat them when they can =P

11. nossie

nossie Member

Are those the foods you raised yourself? :D