1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ugh. Snails?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Anonymous, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I woke up this morning and found about a dozen small snails crawling all over my java moss. I'm kind of upset because I don't want snails in my tank. I want to get rid of them, but I'd prefer to not use any harsh chemicals or salt, as I want to keep things nice for my fish and at a low pH.

I currently have no fish in the tank and am basically waiting for it to finish cycling. The tank is a 65-ish gallon corner pentagon and I intend to feature a school of congo tetras (<3) and add some cories, ottos, a few other tetra species.

According to the fish compatibility chart over at Tim's Tropicals, the only loach species that will cohabitate with my congos is the kuhli loach. Can I depend on kuhli's to eat these snails? I know that clown and yoyo loaches are supposed to be great snail eaters, but they probably wouldn't be good with my other fish choices.

Thanks.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I know they'll eat eggs, but I don't believe they'll eat snails.
    The best advice if you can't do the clown loach would be to pluck them out

In the past when I got them on plants that came in and was unaware of it...I used this to grab them and squish them

Ps. If you have a petsmart near ya they may be on clearance there...Mine had a few left last week on clearance for $6.00

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Also, you can "bait" them with algae tabs>cucumber>zuchinni
    Place the "bait" on/in something such as a cup or saucer that's weighted down ...when the lights are off is best.
    Wait them out ... and remove the "trap"

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

Kuhli's won't eat the snails. If you have only found a few, now is the time pluck em. That's what I do with the pond snails. I find one...snatch...gone. Rams I'll leave alone as they don't seem to take over as bad as ponds.

Don't even bother with the baiting as it will more than likely yield the desired results with such a few small ones.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I baited them yesterday afternoon with some lettuce in a salt-shaker. This morning there were probably 100 of them in there! I took them out and dumped them outside and refilled it. There are still a few in the tank, but it looks like we got a LOT of them!

The problem with "getting" them is that I already have an abundance of plants in my tank, which is a large tank, so finding them all would be pretty much impossible. Right now most of them are so small they are almost transparent.

6. catatataee

catatataee New Member