1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ultraviolet Sterilization Questions

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by MOD_Dawn, Sep 7, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

?? about how to install Current USA Gamma UV Sterilizer
    Okay,
    I'm a complete novice when it comes to UV Sterilizers...but here it goes:
    I ordered a 25 Watt Current USA Gamma UV Sterilizer (model 1402) for my 90 gallon medium planted aquarium...when it arrived the glass quartz sleeve was broken (the company is sending a new one and its due the 9th). :eek: This unit is a beast & I need to know the best way to install it?

For the biological, chemical, and mechanical filtration i'm currently running:
    1 Rena FilStar xP4 External Canister Filter http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752400
    and
    2 Marineland Emperor 400 Power Filters http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752378

:cry: Please kind spirited fish people...HELP!
    5442_1.jpg 625b_1.jpg

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

hey, i have mine installed horizontally 5'' above my tank, i have a pic posted of it on a thread call ''what under your hood'' check it out.
    if youwant more info let me know.

3. MOD_Dawn

I checked the post? I must be looking too hard cuz I didn't see this monster that I have sitting next to me on it?
    And definately more info on it is needed for installation!
    Can I install it inline (Rena Filstar xP4)?..I more focused on using it to clear up the green tinged water that worrying about using it to kill bacteria (even though it claims it will do both).
    I'm thinking if it's possible, I'd like to mount in in the stand beside the filstar...that way I can access it when I need to change the bulb?
    What really sucks is that my tank sits flush against the wall and both sides are enclosed by walls (basically the wall was notched out to just barely fit the darn thing).

4. MOD_Dawn

Duh! I just realized yours was white...mine is black..so I was looking for a black uv beast...here's a pict of mine (wondering if their the same since I've only seen them in white?) http://afishybusiness.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=659

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Sorry to hijack your thread, but what is a uv sterilizer for?

6. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

uv sterilizer kills all types of pathogens, viruses, etc.
    but it can also kill off some good bacteria in your water.
    some ppl live by it some don't........i have mine installed
    because i have a heavy bioload, so it keeps the water in check......

7. MOD_Dawn

No problem whatsoever ;)
    How are ya supposed to learn about aquatic equip. if you don't ask questions.
    Ooo & thanks for the link trajik ink, I'll be following it tuesday according to ups ground tracking. Wish me luck!
    ~Dawn

8. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

no problem dawn......good luck!!! it was fairly simple after i read that link.
    hopefully it works out for you too....

9. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

It also kills free floating algae (green water)

10. MOD_Dawn

Okay, last question...I swear (crosses fingers behind her back) :)
    If I mount it inline I would use the Rena Filstar xP4 which has a 450gph (so they say) flow rate.
    If I mount it hob with a powerhead (which brand and flowrate would you recommend?...thinking maybe the hydor koralia 4?)

The specs on the uv say max tank size 125 (obviously good there since mine is a 90g)
    Also states the max flow gph for bacteria is 2,000
    & that the max flow gph for parasite is 1,200

Which would be the best method in your opinion?

Ps. the fittings are 1/2", 3/4" (in/out)
    I think the rena has 3/16" tubing if I remember right?

11. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i have a mag3 on mine. the pump you choose is up to you but if you decide to place it h.o.b. make sure the pump you pick is strong enough to pump the water up.

12. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

i would suggest putting inline on the suction end of the rena XP which would lower cost of buying even more equipment.

13. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i wouldn't suggest that because as the rena gets dirty so does the uv sterilizer..........

14. MOD_Dawn

Okay, I gave up on the gamma. Reason being...was too big to fit horizontally where I needed it. Anybody looking to buy a 25watt gamma new in box with brand new bulb?

I went with the Coralife Turbo-Twist 12X - 36 Watt U.V. Sterilizer - Up To 500 Gallons http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewi...0 Gallons&utm_campaign=mdcse&site=google_base
    I made my lfs price match it with a online store and got it for $163 which includes the tax. Not bad considering they wanted $209 plus tax.

I hooked it up to the output of my Rena Filstar xP4 since the estimated flow rate of the Rena was 450gph...and the Coralife Turbo Twist recommended 400 - 1200gph. I was able to install it vertically and it just barely made the clearance that was availble behind my tank (very snug fit). My only gripe was it kept leaking from the bottom no matter how I attached it to my tubing, finally I was about to admit defeat for the night when my dad saved the day with some plumbers tape and by showing me not to wind the stupid nut type thingy all the way over all of the threads and to just wind/tighten it until I could see the first few threads peeking through (tube was too thick to be able to get it completely over all the threads. I checked it on and off for about a half hour & it's nice and dry finally!

Now the true test is on, my lfs claims it will completely clear the water within 24-48 hours...I can't wait to be able to see my fishy friends again. Lol! :cool:

15. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

gl with the new sterilizer!!!! i'm glad you found something that worked for you!!!

16. MOD_Dawn

Me too! :D