1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Velvet Swordtails

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by jrow8162, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

Velvet Swordtails

Has anyone had any luck with Velvet Swordtails? I really like these fish but dont seem to be having any luck with them. I tried keeping them in my 55 gallon community tank before and they kept getting fungus and dying. Now I have a new tank that I just put 3 of them in, 1 male and 2 females, and now one of the females has fungus. Are these fish known for this? Everything i've read about them says they are pretty hardy fish...

2. AKGEO

AKGEO Member

I have bred the orange, green and pineapple version of these guys and have almost never had problems with them. pH 7.6, and 78 Degrees in my tank. I did add aquarium salt as a tonic at every water change, and thats really it. They did the rest. You might try adding some salt, it worked quite well with mine.

3. jrow8162

I've always heard mixed opinions on the salt. Maybe i'll try some once i'm finished treating the tank. I've been able to keep the black swords just not the velvet ones.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Swordtails (Questions & Advice)

I just recently purchased one and so far I have not experienced any health issues or concerns.

5. jrow8162

I've kept a velvet female for a while after treating for fungus. The other female and the male didnt make it. I now have a black male sword, velvet female, and 2 platys in that tank doing well... I wanted to breed the velvet swords. I may try again soon... I'm still in the process of setting my 55 gallon up for my Africans.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm glad you posted about them..my local lfs never had them, I lucked out when I stopped in Burtons Total Pets (just got their tanks up and running) & I scored one there. Definately gives the tank that bold pop I was looking for!

7. jrow8162

Yeah, they are pretty fish...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I Recently switched to a salt water tank :D I liked it but it was really expensive. The looks are definitely worth the money!

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

? you mean you switched from saltwater to swordtails??