1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Wal-Mart fish

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Wal-mart

I am just curious as to how others feel about the poor fish sitting in the overcrowded, dirty, nasty, tiny, aquariums at your local wal mart.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I have seen some horrible tanks at Wal-Marts. There have been several I've been to that are very nice though. They have larger tanks and are pretty clean. The problem is that their employee isn't trained for "fish keeping" and is usually just an additional job that the garden person has to do. Sometime you will find someone that really cares about the fish and try their best to take care of them.

As far as the Wal-Marts with the bad tanks go, I feel really bad for those little guys.

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I've seen tanks there that are more than half full of dead fish :(

4. Leslie

Leslie New Member

ive seen the same. or all dead. but today the tanks were clean and had alive fish. no dead.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Maybe their shipment came in today :confused:

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

haha, im going to go look at the wal mart here tonight and see what they got on hand. They usually have one random fish that you will have never seen or heard of ever but its at wal mart. :D

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Some mutant fish that appeared from the corpse of one of their dead fish :eek:

8. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Zombie fish in search of revenge, perhaps? I think I saw that on a sci fi channel B movie at 3 am one night ... or was it an episode of Ghost Hunters?
    (to digress, why do ghosts only come out at night and in old houses and while freaked out people are running around with night vision lenses? Why not during the day in the middle of aisle 7 at Wal-mart?)

9. Leslie

Leslie New Member

maybe the did get a shipment in. i dunno. they always have these puffer fish. i have never seen them any where else.

10. Jake

Jake Administrator

i try to stay away from the fish area because i feel bad for how theyre treated

11. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

main problem with walmart all tanks on one system . all tank water the same for all fish . good but mostly bad. their snails generally look good though

12. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

My wally world did away with all the fishtanks, although once or twice a year the bettas show up in the tiny blue cups on a display with vases and lily plants.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Tonight they had blood parrot only their main fin in the rear was missing and they were called heart parrots :( they looked like they hated everything about this genetic abnormality that has been exploited

14. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

no the parrot like the flowerhorns are more of the genetic mistakes that chinese hobbists seam to like

15. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Like this?
    [​IMG]

Can't imagine they get around very well. Makes me think of those bubble eyed goldfish. I hate seeing those fish. It makes me cringe.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Actually, most of the time those guys have their tail removed when their young. They aren't born like that, from what I've read. I've actually seen a Chinese video of a guy doing it to them too :x

17. Dox13

Dox13 Member

Pour little guys having there tales removed. I agree with the person that didn't like to see the goldfish with those big bubble eyes. I feel sorry for them and don't like to look at them.

18. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

Wal-Mart confirmed they will stop selling fish by the year 2010 (or sometime around then but in the nearish future!!)

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Where did you hear/read that ?

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So, I was browsing through Wal Mart today and made a stop through the fish isle, it was my first time in this particular Wal Mart and I wanted to check it out. I spotted an gold angelfish that was not showing any color and her eyes were white. She was the only one in the tank and the tank was full of red eye tetras and plecos out the wazoo, she looked so unhappy that I decided to buy her. I stood there for like 15 mins watching her to make sure the was healthy etc. The whole time she swam looking my in the eyes head on, I knew she was a trooper and wrangled someone into helping me. I brought her home and popped her into my tank and instantly her black bars came out there are three along her body and one through her now red eyes! I am going to go somewhere and pick her up a couple of friends! I just thought it was amazing how much of a difference in coloration and temperment good quality water can make.