1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Wal-Mart fish

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Jul 31, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

Yup! 3 spot gouramis will loose their spots when unhappy too. Congrats on the rescue ;)

2. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

Someone on the puffer forum posted it, and I've heard it on others as well. I can't find a link though :|

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

She was probably really stressed too. I'm sure you saved her from being killed.

4. caronsd

caronsd New Member

I can confirm that fish definitly will change color, I also just bought 2 3 spot gouramis from wal mart and they were a light gray with no spots, now they have a brilliant blue shine with 2 spots.

5. Cowbla1

Cowbla1 New Member

One time i saw at one store they had male bettas listed as females and vice versa.

6. Leslie

Leslie New Member

when i was at walmart the other day there were like 10 dead puffers and a ton of other dead fish. and one of the people who worked tere was telling a custermer that the reason there was a dead fish in a tank with a shark was because the shark attacted it.

7. Dox13

Dox13 Member

I always check on the fish when I am in Walmart and if there are dead fish in a tank I tell them they need to remove the dead fish, and sometime they do and sometimes they don't.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I know my local Wal-marts fish are all dead and stuck to the filter...and the bettas in the blue liquid of death are all belly up. I even watched a worker there one day put a whole bottle of food (like 3.8oz size) in one of the 10 gallon tanks...it looked like christmas! I was like whoa...thats way too much food for those fish...and showed him how much (a tiny pinch)...and he actually had the *alls to tell me that I was wrong...and they needed wayyy more food than that, and asked me if I wanted them to starve. Then me being my smart butt self had to say, noooo I want them to live and prosper under your utmost attention to their wellbeing as the ones in that tank..and pointed to the ones all dead and attached to the filter with white fuzz balls of fungus'd food floating everywhere like snowflakes.

It's crazy that they keep ordering more.. I mean anyone with a bit of common sense about fish knows they are just purchasing ich or some other form of parasite if their happens to be a few alive in the tank!

9. jjsvt

jjsvt New Member

My Granddaughter calls Wal-Mart "Ich Central". I wouldn't buy a fish from them if I never had another fish in my tank. These poor things are so sick and unclean that you can't even commit a quarantine tank to them, because there are so many things to battle. Besides, why buy sick when you can buy healthy?

10. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I bought 2 pleco's from Wal Mart about 7 years ago. One died within a day or two and the other just died 2 weeks ago. I've never had a good experience with fish at Wal Mart except for this pleco which was about a foot long before he died. The Wal Mart here in RVA doesnt even sell fish anymore. You can still buy tanks and equipment there but no fish. As a matter of fact I bought the filter and heater for my new 20 long at Wal Mart and only spent a total of 55 dollars.

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I actually picked up a synodontis eupterus at the local 24 hour wal-mart a couple months ago. I looked around at their fish just for the heck of it, and saw a tank with the label "Lace Catfish $5.99". I took a look at them, had an employee pull one out for me to inspect, and it definitely was a young eupterus. He's still in my tank and is doing very well.

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Yeah, you get lucky sometimes. They guy working there the night I got my Pleco's was really into fish and took pretty good care of the tanks. Unfortunately most of the time its just whatever employee is closest at the time that handles the fish department.

13. davidb173

davidb173 New Member

I won't buy fish from Wal-mart either.I bought a goldfish several years ago from what appeared to be a healthy tank only to have anchor worms covering my entire pond of fish in 2 weeks.They do have a good price on supplies though.
    One more quick thought for those that put them down for having a central filter system.I worked at PetsMart for 8 years and they only had a central filter system as well with 176 tanks with the same water and water qualities as well.

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

my wal-mart has clean tanks but one time i bought a pleco the lady got a ladder and droped it... i was like uh....

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The last wal-mart I went to they take horrible care of there tanks, there was only one good tank, and that was the tank with the fiddle crabs in it.

I was thinking about get two or three but it was to let at night for me to get them use to the water.

16. moreless39

moreless39 New Member

I find that most employees don't know a tetra from a goldfish. But I find it terrible that almost any fish store sell pacu's at all. These are beautiful fish that aren't meant for 99.9% of hobbyist tanks at all unless your moving into the 500gl+ range. Local aquariums have quit taking them and they end up getting "thrown away." I personally don't know anyone (fish KEEPING friends) that has one (due to size) but Wal-mart has no problem stocking them week after week, however due to thier needs...most die soon after being delivered.

17. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

My local Walmart has 2 gorgeous Red Belly Pacus. If I only had a 300g tank they wouldn't be there very long.