1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Walmart. It Fails.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by w00t_w00t, Jul 7, 2009.

1. w00t_w00t

w00t_w00t Thread Starter New Member

So I went to Walmart and I've been doing REALLY REALLY REALLY well staying away from it. And. I figured out again why I needed to stay away >.O Their bettas were in the worse conditions I've ever seen them in with filthy cloudy water, horrid cases of SBD and alot were dead already. They had females, so I picked up a couple that seemed in OK condition with a faint showing of stress lines - there werent any that didn't have stresslines.

So. I'm slowly adding fresh water to their cups and keeping them tucked in the back room. Hopefully they'll pick up and I'll house them to start my sorority tank with another female I already have >.< I'm afraid to feed them because I don't know how much they've been fed.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Surprisingly the Wal Mart I've been to doesn't sell bettas. Their tanks are also kept up pretty well too, not that I would buy fish from there.

It's hard to judge with the fish (feedings) they could have been overfed or they could have not been fed like they should have been. :confused:

3. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

a lot of stores have bettas in bad conditions because they have tons of babies and fight and they runa big store and for them hiring 1 person to change water every day would be more expensive then what the fish is wortg :(

4. w00t_w00t

The weird thing is, is that our walmart isn't that big. Not like a super walmart - just somewhere that Rural folks shop at because they HAVE to. There's no picking and chosing around here. I've never seen their tanks in this bad of condition - tons of dead loss, junk floating around everywherein the tanks.

One of the females I bought barely had enough water to cover her dorsal fin >.< They seem to be doing better since fresh water has been added.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad to hear they're doing better now.
    My wal-mart is the same...sick>dying> and dead fish all clinging to the intakes.
    And let's not get me started on the infamous blue ooze death cups that they keep the bettas in.

And to make it even better they keep them lower on the shelf where moronic parents let the kids shake them and dump out their water. Grr!

6. w00t_w00t

Ugh Parents who won't control their children >.< Drives me INSANE. I restacked the cups today too. So the bettas could atleast get SOME oxygen. I'm jobless, wonder if they'd hire me? XD

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

go ask them, tell them you want to rescue their fish which would enable them to increase their sales in that particular dept...since they wouldn't have to keep throwing them away on a reg basis (being dead and all). Lol!

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

imo wal-mart shouldn't even have live aquatics...when we go there our kids always want to go "look" at the fish and i hate going to that part of the store because it always looks like crap. my 5 yr old commented one about all the dead fish in the tanks and why don't they take them out. now that's bad when a child can see that there's a problem.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I hear ya! I have tons of gripes about wal-mart (don't even get me started). Lmdao!

10. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Its even worse that he is 5! I'm so glad we dont have wal-marts here. Or at least supermarkets that keep pets.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

lol. that even sounds funny..supermarkets with pets.
    Jokes, hey hun...i'm going to get some milk, bread, eggs and a few fish while I'm there. Lol!

12. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

My Walmart surprised the hell out of me the last time I was there. Every tank had crystal clear water, no dirt whatsoever and no dead floating fish. They had some very healthy cichlids too. The only thing I didn't care for was that they were selling Pacu with no tag on the tank telling the customer how big these fish really get.

13. w00t_w00t

Ours had bala sharks the other day tooooo >.< They've NEVER had anything that gets bigger - except Plecos and a couple of Oscars they keep in stock... Which leads me to ADD moment; I would love to have Oscars but they sound like lots of upkeep XD

I might just write them a letter today. I've been wanting to and I haven't, but it's still bothering me that they can kill alot of bettas so easily. Seriously, it's not THAT hard to keep them happy until someone purchases them. And it takes what, 5 seconds to fill up that little cup with CLEAN water and drop 3-5 pellets of betta food in for them?

The girls have made a turn around, and they're flaring at eachother for position of dominant female right now -rolls eyes- The other betta is just swimming around, completely disregarding them. But, compared to yesterday there's no stress lines and they're 100% more active and eating.

14. greg curtis

greg curtis New Member

Oscars are great fish! Tons of personality and affection for food. They do produce a large bio load but a weekly water change and siphoning keeps everything as it should be. I've had a few at 12" & now have 2 smaler 2" guys and they are gluttons already LOL.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

don't forget to add they'll rearrange your tank and are messy eaters.

16. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

That is what makes them fun Dawn! Well... not the messy eater part... but they decorate their own tank... :)

BTW Dawn.... so are Discus messy eaters... that was the point I was making about many feedings and waterchanges...

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

oh, ok. I was going to get the small ones but the shipping was really high and after hearing the larger ones do better...I think I'ma save up and get the bigger ones ((can find them in my 1 lfs)) to start with.

Ps. Hated that my oscars when I had them would mound the substrate to 1 corner and move the decor. Ugh! It (tank) looked awful and we (fish and I) would constantly battle to keep the tank the way we wanted it. Fish won, but not for long...because I got rid of them...so in the end, they actually lost. Haha!

18. LemonDiscus

Thats what they do though! I enjoyed watching what they did to everything... I found it funny... then I would walk by the tank and put it all how I wanted just to tick them off and have to set it back to their liking again! :)

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sounds like the never ending battle I went through with mine!
    I'd sit there and be like I hope this ticks you off as much as your mounds aggrovate the heck outta me. Lol!

20. LemonDiscus

Yup... mine did the mounds too... with both sand AND gravel... heck... the one died trying to move a HUGE piece of driftwood... it apparently fell on him and he could not get out...

Part of me was upset... well more than part as that was the male to my pair which took me over a year to get... but part of me laughed and though thats what you get for having to move everything around the tank!

Gotta love Oscars for what they are! They ARE the most PET LIKE fish out there that I have ever seen! Such personalities!