1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Walmart. It Fails.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by w00t_w00t, Jul 7, 2009.

1. w00t_w00t

w00t_w00t Thread Starter New Member

-cough- Silicon decorations to the bottom of the tank XD I've highly considered that option with my turtles O___o

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I thought the same about my jack...he/she had a great personality...would move anything and everything..had gorgeous coloration...and would always come part way out of the water during feeding time!

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Thats actually a good recommendation! I never thought of doing that before... That still does not fix the mounds of sand or gravel they can move across the tank... cant silicone the sand... you can silicone the gravel but that would take a while :)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

agreed, never thought of that back then.
    But then you couldn't remove the decor if they got stuck in it (yes, happened to me before and had to break decor to get the booger out)

5. w00t_w00t

XD This is true! Plus, it'd probably be a royal pain to clean it up, or it would look tacky. Though, if they're stirring it up, wouldn't that send debris into the filter? They're only trying to reduce gravel vacs ^__^

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea, by mounding the gravel right into the intake. lmdao!
    Lesson learned (no sand with big fish)

7. w00t_w00t

AHH now I want Oscars. -sits on hands- Maybe later on when I can buy a 50g and a stand... and all the gravel, etc X___X

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol. I'd do a min of a 55g for them. (plus will prob be cheaper than a 50 since it's more of the "standard")

Craiglist for more reasonable setups and sometimes you can score the fish too!

Ps. Be sure NOT to take your time painstakingly decorating the tank beautifully. Haha!
    UNLESS, your a glutton for punishment that is.

9. LemonDiscus

Need more than a 50 gallon... try a 75 minimum!

Yeah... they do get stuck in decor... again thats how one of mine died.... and the sand actually was a bit better than the gravel with them I found... the sand was harder for them to move BUT my tank ALWAYS had sand in the water column... what they did with the sand (remember though I did have a pair) was sit over the sand and move their tail REALLY FAST and it blew all the sand away leaving the bottom bare where they did that.... they made a few nests in the tank like that... and my filters ALWAYS made a grinding noise....

better than the time I caught my male Oscar in the 55 by himself and he moved ALL of the gravel to 1/2 of the tank creating about a 8-11 inch mound of gravel against the side of the tank.... and the other half... BARE!!! I could not believe he did that....

10. w00t_w00t

Yeah we usually don't have alot of aquariums showing up on Craigslist - except one fool who has a 14"+ Pleco in a 29 gallon >.< AND there's other fish in with it. Their prices are usually just as much as what I can buy a brand new one for with a gorgeous stand - So I'd almost rather buy it new... so I can return it if it's faulty.

I shouldn't talk shopping while my pockets are empty XD

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds like you experience the same stuff I did when I had em.
    Makes me wanna run out and buy another one...NOT! Haha!

12. LemonDiscus

Actually I have thought about it... I am still upset over having 1 year to get a pair from juvenile... loosing the weak ones along the way... then for the male to die.... got another male... they never bonded and the female jumped out of the tank... My taste is soured to them a bit...

Now my Discus are my excuse NOT to get anymore... BUT I can actually have a planted tank now! :D

13. w00t_w00t

Your planted tank is beautiful LemonDiscus. I wish I had one but it looks rather daunting -cowers away-

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I did that too (cowered) from the planted idea, but finally took the leap and everything so far hasn't been that bad. MY plants are doing awesome now...it's moreso a thing of getting the lighting right>>dealing with algae when it rears>>and proper dosing if we're talking about reds or highly planted.

Actually, I don't think after having the planted I could go back to a tank without them!

15. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

woot, oscars are a wounderful fish, like the others have said. i have three of them (2 albino, 1 tiger) and they are down right funny to watch at times. the little games they play with one another is amazing, they will play "tag", one will "goose" another and the game begins. they do a "happy feed me" dance at feeding time. my tiger o will spit water at you if you take too long after the lid is open and the foods not in the water. they also will rearange the decor some, they've got a few seashells in there and they don't like them if there upsidedown so when we clean the tank we'll flip a couple of them over and see how long it takes them to flip them back. there's also a couple of diy bushes in there for them to move around. i have some pics posted you can check out. they really like the camera.

16. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

My walmart is actually pretty good. I do like the supplier for my area fish, A-pet Inc. There's always dead fish. What most people don't realize is pet stores get just as many dead fish, they just have more people to remove them faster.

17. LemonDiscus

VERY true! I have seen it... they pull dead fish about every hour in a pet store... most are feeders and rosies but non-the-less a VERY accurate statement.

ALL pet stores get Ich infestations and some use copper which most people wont even know the tank is in treatment and others use Malachite Green/Formalin which is TOO obvious!

Buy a bag of fish from a distributor and see how many you can keep alive :) There ALWAYS is a high mortality rate when you have fish being shipped/transported and acclimated a lot.

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I was at WalMart earlier and I noticed they did have some bettas. They looked HORRIBLE. They were just mixed in with tank decorations. They were all laying on the bottom of the cup that had algae growing in it. There were some others behind the little sink with the fish, those looked okay. The ones on the shelf must be ones they've had for a while. :(

The lady I saw working in that area had one arm, how can they expect her to take care of fish with one arm ?
    0713091150.jpg 0713091150a.jpg

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Since this is sort of a review I'm going to move it to that part of the forum.

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

okie dokie (good idea)...amazed they aren't in the blue cup of doom (meaning the blue water). Lol!