1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

WARNING About using terracotta pots

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by heatherine, Feb 17, 2011.

1. heatherine

heatherine Thread Starter Member

I thought I'd pass this along. I always make sure I only use either broken terracotta pots with huge holes, or no holes at all. I lost a paradise gourami once who got stuck in the drain hole of a terracotta pot. I never thought he'd fit - the hole was only about 3/4 inch wide, but one day I saw him struggling, head stuck in the hole - of course trying to move forward and only making it worse. I got him out before he drowned (labyrinth fish), but the fin damage was too great and he passed away. :(

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nice tip. I never thought about that before.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I usually chip an opening if I'm going to use them as a "house", or lay them on their side (using the bottom as a full opening).

I know the small size one's have some tiny holes, but semi-medium ones definately have a size where I could picture some of the smaller fish getting stuck in.

Thanks for sharing the tip! Great advice :)

4. Sacem

Sacem New Member

I would also be careful about using large holes; one time I had a female frontosa (~7') in a tank with some terracotta pots with the bottoms busted out. Well apparently I did not break one of them well enough before going on vacation. What happened?--you guessed it, I came home to her stuck (and dead) inside the hole. She should have never been able to pass through it (was in there mostly for the smaller fish to have 'hiding holes') but it got tipped over and she tried. I could also tell she had tried and struggled in vain to remove it, as she had cuts from trying to go in and then back out...

Now I make sure there are no sharp edges on my pots (usually just break the bottom out completely), and make sure that the largest fish can pass easily through the opening before it goes in the tank; I do not take chances with "the little guys can use it, and the big guys will stay out"
    JM2C, hope it helps.

Scott

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

It's not just terracotta pot either any decoration with holes fish can get stuck in. With pots I usually break off the complete bottom or plug the hole with silicone.

6. heatherine

heatherine Thread Starter Member

I've got one pot with the bottom completely gone, two with no hole at all. I can't believe I ever put the ones with the drainholes in the tank at all...after it happened I was just like, what was I thinking!? But we live & learn.