1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Water Changes

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by SikMars, Jul 12, 2009.

1. SikMars

SikMars Thread Starter New Member

50 gallon tank (water change)

50 gallon tank (water change)

Hi all,

I have a 50 gallon fw tank. This is my first tank and I'm new to the hobby. I have just been reading up on line and talking extensively to the people at the pet store and trying to learn.

How often should I change the water and how much water should be replaced. I am told I should replace it once every 2 weeks and take out only 20% of the water. Add the chlorine remover into the new water and than put it in the tank. At the moment I only have a few fish, 1 plant and some props. It would be highly appreciated if I can get some assistance on maintaining my tank, keeping it clean, what to check for to keep it going and keep my fish alive.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: 50 gallon tank (water change)

If you have a real plant in the tank, do not add salt as it will kill plants.

20% water change every 2 weeks is the minimum. 10-15% every week is better.

Otherwise you were given correct advice.

And that clown loach really needs tankmates of other clown loaches... BUT they will outgrow that tank very quickly. That one fish was probably a bad choice.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You're likely to run into problems housing mollies with those barbs. Mollies are peaceful community fish and the barbs can be aggressive.

As far as water changes go. I would recommend 20% week until your tank runs for a while and you test everything to know how long your water can go without needing to be changed. Now I'm not saying put it off as long as possible, I'm only saying that some tanks may need 2 water changes a week and other may need one 20-30% every 2 weeks. It all depends on the filtration, fish in the tank, plants etc.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I will tell you what I do, I change 25% of the water weekly, and I over filter every tank I have.

What is the filtration like on your tank?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I would have to agree that the clown loach should be returned, however they grow VERY slow and will not soon outgrow your 50 gallon tank. It is commonly believed that they NEED to be in schools but I am not for sure that I am convinced on that issue as of yet:)

6. SikMars

SikMars Thread Starter New Member

Thanks for your input everyone..
    Firstly why was the clown loach a bad choice.. is it mainly because it will out grow the tank very quickly? if you guys recommend it needs some mates, i will go buy 1-2 more so he's not lonely. I really like that fish.

So i was told that salt is like medication for your fish.. I understand if I have a real plant do not use salt, but do people use salt for their fw tanks? What does the salt help for?

We bay.. I have a sponge filtration system in my tank.. are those any good? It came with the tank..I'm really confused on how many times and how much water I should change.. From what I understand, if you change it to often, it is not good for the tank either.. I understand that it depends on the plant and fish etc. in the tank but what exactly do I have to do to determine how many times I need to change the water.. i mean do i buy a testing kit and test it every time i change the water, i test for the ammonia level, nitrite level, nitrate level the ph and what else..?

7. LemonDiscus

Clown Loaches do grow large but I stand corrected that they do grow slow. They will eventually outgrow the tank though. I have always read and been told you should keep groups but petluvr says different. I dont have that 100% correct answer and there may not be one.

The salt helps relax freshwater fish and promotes oxygen exchange in their gills. I personally use it to treat sick fish. Most pet stores will say to keep it in your tank at all times but I strongly disagree. Salt does well for treating ich, relaxing fish with other illnesses etc...

As for plants prolonged exposure to salt will burn the leaves. Plants do not like salt as they dont grow in a saltwater tank. The salts are different but even aquarium salt will harm your real plants over time. You will find it hard to keep some varieties while others will do ok. It all depends on the plant.

A sponge filter is good but they are usually used to keep small fish from getting sucked into the filter. A strong Hang On Back (HOB) filter will be good while a canister will be ideal. These filters can pump more water through the filter media than a sponge filter. Sponge filters move water by displacing it with air..... canisters and HOB pump water using a mechanical motor (thats the dangerous part for small fish).

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Do 50% water changes EVERY week it will have NO adverse side effects on your tank. Test your TAP water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrAtes and ph and AFTER the tank has cycled test once a month to make sure levels are where they should be. Ammonia and nitrIte should stay at 0 whereas nitrAtes should be less than 20ppm. The clown loach just isn't a good idea for long term as they will eventually need at least a 200 gallon tank take a look at this site to get an idea of how large they can get.
    http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus
    They however take 10+ years to get that large. For a 50 gallon tank I would recommend an aquaclear filter rated for twice your tank volume sponge filters are good for smaller tanks but in my opinion worthless on larger tanks. Yes people do use salt in their FW setups but mostly as a medication for diseases such as ich. Be careful when adding salt though so that you don't add to much.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I disagree fully with petluvr, I have had one clown loach in a growout tank by himself for a while and he behaves completely different than my larger group of clown loaches. They don't require a group to survive, but will behave completely different and live shorter lives.

As for sponge filters, they are good in that they house LOTS of beneficial bacteria that remove "the bad stuff" from water. However, you will need to get enough filtration to turn the tank over at least 5 times an hour. In my tanks I do nothing less than a 10x turnover rate.

and water changes are sort of a preference as to how much. Like I said I do 25% weekly changes on all my tank (seen in signature)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I've gotten used to people disagreeing with me on the more than one clown loach issue. For your sake and the fishes take it back to the store where you got it would be my recommendation.

11. LemonDiscus

I do agree with that petluvr :D

And as an example I run 3 filters on my 125 gallon

Penguin 350
    Emperor 400
    Magnum 350

that gives me almost a 10x turnover rate per hour like Wee Bay stated (1100 Gallons Per Hour)

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I do at least a 25% water change weekly. I also had to move my Molly's out of my tank because the Barbs were stressing them out and they were getting sick. I recently bought some aquarium salt but haven't used any. Good luck with your new tank...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Don't waste your money on the aquarium salt just use plain old table salt.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

....I do not advise the use of table salt...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Why would you not use table salt?

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

He likes it on his corn. :D

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

LOL....

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Table salt is aquarium salt plus additives, what these additives are are iodine and various caking agents. You could buy plain table salt (if you can find it) and use that. Rock salt is what I would use instead aquarium salt if it came to it.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I use it all the time in my QT tank. It is my opinion, and that of others, that the iodine in the salt is so minimal that the salinity of the water would harm the fish before the iodine even had a chance to. I once again would like to say that when adding salt table, rock or aquarium it is VERY important to be careful how much you are adding.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I feel that someone should know all the reasons why I say what I say, this ensures that the reader can fully assess the situation and make a decision based on his own logic. I, after reading all the things I have about table salt in the aquarium, cannot recommend it to someone who is new to the game, so to speak.