1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Water Conditions for Mamela Lemon Jake

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by irresistaple_kai, May 15, 2010.

1. irresistaple_kai

irresistaple_kai Thread Starter New Member

I have embarked upon something new for me and of course I am not finding nearly as much information as I would have liked to have. Knew I should have just come here first (duh).

I have 2 Mamela Lemon Jake Peacocks and need to know more about the required water conditions. They are from Lake Malawi correct? Unfortunately, there is a lot of information on breeding, appearance, and behavior but I just can't seem to find the sites that give me the more technical information - ie. water quality and diseases.

I fear that I may have already compromised the health of these two but I am hoping that in catching this as early as possible I can turn things around before their behavior is affected by anything.

Also, in maintaining proper water conditions (once I know what they are) how often should I be doing water changes for them to keep it up? They are in a 65 gallon tank with 2 plecos, 1 giant danio, and a fire eel. Not a heavy bio-load with a Marineland C-360 cannister filter.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They fall under standard Malawi water conditions. pH of about 7.8-8.8 and the temp should be around 80 degrees.

What are your current water conditions ?

As with most other fish, weekly water changes are recommended. At the least every other week.

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

here's a little info that'll help...

Care and feeding:
    The African Butterfly Peacock is one of the most carnivorous of the cichlids. In the wild they feed on zooplankton, specifically larvae and will also eat crustaceans. Provide them with a meaty diet; pellets, frozen and freeze-dried daphnia, bloodworms and brine shrimp are excellent choices. Avoid tubifex worms as they contribute to a disease called "Malawi bloat." You can also use shrimp mixes (the European Shrimp Mix is cheaper than prepared foods and just as nutritious). Feed once a day when young and 5 to 6 times a week when adults unless they are breeding. Avoid the desire to feed this fish more often than it needs, as this will keep the water quality higher over a longer time.
    A 55 gallon aquarium is okay for these fish, but 75 gallons is suggested. They do fine in either freshwater or brackish freshwater but need good water movement along with very strong and efficient filtration. Provide open space for swimming and a lot of caves to which to hide, sleep, or breed. They prefer subdued lighting.
    Malawi Cichlids will deteriorate under poor water conditions. As these are messy fish, do water changes of 20 to 50% a week depending on bio load. Malawi bloat is a typical disease, along with other diseases that ail all freshwater fish.

Water Region: Top, Middle, Bottom:
    These fish will swim in the bottom and middle areas of the aquarium.

Acceptable Water Conditions:
    Crushed coral can help keep the PH up. However a higher PH means that ammonia is more lethal, so water changes are a must for these fish.
    Hardness: 6 - 10 ° dH
    Ph: 7.7 to 8.6
    Temp: 73 - 82 ° F (23 - 28 ° C)

Social Behaviors:
    The African Butterfly Peacock is best kept alone in a small tank, or as a group of one male and 4 - 6 females in a large tank. They are peaceful toward those of the same species as long as it is not 2 males, unless tank is very large and can support different territories. The African Butterfly Peacock will tolerate those of a different genus as long as they are peaceful, similarly sized, though different in shape. They will get along with all other Peacock Cichlids of the same genus.
    This fish is best kept with other medium sized Malawi cichlids that are not overly aggressive. Aggressive Mbunas are not good tank mates for the African Butterfly Peacock.

Sexual Differences:
    Males are more colorful with the back part of their dorsal and anal fins being longer and sharper. Females are drabber in color with rounded anal and dorsal fins.

Breeding/Reproduction:
    The African Butterfly Peacock has been bred in captivity. They reach sexual maturity around 4", which is 1/2 the adult size. Keep 4 - 6 females with one male for the best breeding success. The male will display an intense coloration to attract the females.
    All Cichlid parents tend to their young, making them easy to breed. They should have their own breeding tank as a couple guarding their babies can be a force to reckon with and this aggression is acted out on other tank mates. A 55 to 75 gallon tank is suggested.
    It is difficult to witness a spawning of African Butterfly Peacock because it is done secretly in a cave. They are mouthbrooders. This is where the females will lay their eggs and then pick them up in their mouths, after which, they pick at the male's anal fin to get him to produce "milt" or sperm. The female will then take this milt into her mouth and the eggs are fertilized at that time. She will carry them in her mouth until the fry are old enough to be able to feed on their own. This takes around 21 days and the size of the clutch is up to 50 eggs. She will nibble and eat next to nothing during this time

4. irresistaple_kai

PH = 0
    Nitrate (NO3) = 10 mg/L
    Ammonia = 0
    Temp = 82
    General Hardness = 11.2 dH

I also tested Nitrite and Non-chelated iron - both of which came up 0.

Anything else?

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looks fine to me.

6. irresistaple_kai

From some of the disease descriptions that I have read it looks as though they have developed a minor fungus issue - I have only had them about a month. Is it possible that they may have been infected before I got them and are only starting to show the outward signs? Is there something I can use to treat the tank without killing the "Good Bateria" in my canister filter? I also read something about not treating the tank and just doing several small (2-5 gallons) water changes more than once a week would also help too. The male is getting a cloudy eye - it's not swollen (popping out) and the female looks as though she may have a fuzzy spot (fungus/mold?) on the side of her face.

I would hate to think that I haven't been doing my job in keeping them correctly. I know I have plants in the tank but they are all healthy too. If it's not the water - what could cause this and is there anything I can do. I love my fish but I also want to protect the investment I made in them too. Usually the amount of money isn't an issue but I am only returning back to work after a back injury kept me out for almost a whole month - so $ are tight. I hate the thought of any animal dying in my care just because of ignorant negligence (ie. learning from trial and error) because I take great care to be very responsible with them but I also know that I can't afford to replace them or to lose the money I spent on having them.

What can I do if it's not the water?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't think fungus would be present on a fish and not be visible for that long. If they came with it you would have seen it pretty quickly.

I would suggest using PimaFix and MelaFix in the tank. That will take care of both fungal and bacterial infections as well as the cloudy eye issue.

8. irresistaple_kai

I didn't think so but I thought I should ask - of course non of my other fish show signs of anything but I do understand that cichlids can be a bit more sensitive. Thank you for all of your help - I am going to get this stopped before it gets a complete hold. Thank you everyone!

9. irresistaple_kai

Thank you all very much with your help with this - the Pimafix and Melafix worked great! Everyone is free and clear. Again - THANK YOU!!!!!!!