1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

WC Altolamprologus Calvus Black Zambia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by NoctuVide, Feb 24, 2012.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

I was finally able to purchase some wild caught Calvus. I'm hoping that they will eventually breed and will update this thread with any news.

Male
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_e14ed7ff.jpg

Female
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_bbd1ee0a.jpg

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

really good looking pair...hope they give you a lot of fry.

3. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Nice =D

4. NoctuVide

So I learned the hard way that my usual 50% water changes aren't going to work so well with these guys. Now I had read before that you shouldn't do large water changes with calvus, but I was figuring that my compressiceps were handling it fine and the calvus are much larger, so they should be fine.
    The female took it like the compressiceps where they kind of re-acclimate for a few minutes and are fine afterward. The larger male on the other hand freaked out. While I was filling the tank back up, he kept swimming up and down the side of the tank, then across the surface of the water, then up and down the tank, then finally went into hiding and there he's been for two days. He's still alive as I've checked on him a couple times and can see him breathing and moving where he's hiding, but he hasn't been out to eat. As I said, the female is fine, swimming around, eating, doing Calvus things.
    In this lesson I have learned that calvus are much more sensitive to water changes than compressiceps, especially when they are WC, and I will be cutting back to much smaller water changes on is tank.
    Really hoping this guy pulls through as I absolutly love these fish, really want to breed them, and not to mention the fact that they aren't exactly the least expensive fish I own (more like the most expensive)...

5. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Ouch =/ I hope he makes it too. Both for price and because it would be sad to lose life =/

6. NoctuVide

As an update, this morning he finally came out of hiding, ate, and is acting normal once again... Now I'm just nervous about the next time it's water change day...

7. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Do smaller water swaps more often.