1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Weird hard oval white things everywhere

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Mynxy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Mynxy

Mynxy Thread Starter New Member

Hello All! :D

Today I was looking at my Rabbit Snail, then suddenly thought - hey, when did he get SPOTS??? After that, I started seeing them everywhere. On pebbles, plants, trumpet snails - basically anything while a small indentation in it. Upon physical inspection, they're hard and crunch, and don't move.

Here's what is in the tank: small Nerite snails, trumpet snails, Various Corydoras, 4 male Threadfin Rainbows, an ornery ancistrus, and tons of Endlers.

Anybody know what these are?
    critters1.JPG critters2.JPG critters3.JPG critters4.JPG critters5.JPG critters6.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

is their more than 1 rabbit snail in the tank?? As much as I know their livebearers, but the babies DO come out in a egg looking sac (but I wouldn't think it would be hard)?

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Do they move could be copepods, limpets, or seed shrimp.

4. BobV

BobV Member

YIKES IT"S COOTIES !

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

At first, by your description, I was thinking limpets. Unfortunately, I could not see the pics very well. Is it possible to get some better pics up?

6. Mynxy

Nope, no movement at all. I tried again with the camera to get close pics - that's as good as it gets. They're pretty much just oval white lice-looking blobs anyway, there's not really more detail. There's only the one rabbit snail in the tank, and he's been there a while. (I took him out of the tank to try to take close-ups, & he kept peeking out at me.) Maybe little Nerite Eggs?
    Wee Nerite.JPG

7. Mynxy

Checking into HBIC's limpet comment, I would have to agree that they are teeny limpets. I found this on the internets:

"The limpet is a gastropod, a soft-bodied invertebrate (an animal without a backbone) that is protected by a very hard, flattened conical shell. This mollusk is found in cooler waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. Limpets cling tightly to a rock (using the muscular foot). During the day, limpets move around by rippling the muscles of the foot in a wave-like fashion, looking for food. They return to the same place on their rock each night. No one knows exactly how they find their way back to the same spot each time."

Cool, but it looks like my tank has cooties (thx BobV). I also read that Assassin snails may take care of them. I already have two in other tanks, if I can find them. Thank you everybody for helping me figure this out, especially HBIC. Time to dig up my Cootie Catchers! :)

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

Here's a pic of a limpet in one of my tanks. Do they look anything like this?

ai735.photobucket.com_albums_ww357_James0816_OtherPictures_Limpet1_112809.jpg

9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Very welcome glad I could help :)

10. Mynxy

Hi James0816,

That's the right shape, but they look all white to my eye. If you stuck about 6 grains of salt together, you'd have their size. I haven't seen one moving yet, and they're all still in their crevices. Babies?

11. Mynxy

OR - they're nerite snails eggs!

"The white egg capsules look like sesame seeds and are commonly seen on the glass or live rock in aquariums with nerites. They often generate "what is that?" remarks from observers. Just say they're sesame seeds and watch how the subject gets changed. Though these egg capsules are laid prolifically, I have so far not seen an example where new nerites appeared. Apparently the larval period and requirement for planktonic food limits the successful recruitment of nerite larvae. There may also be a special requirement that the egg capsules be exposed with the change of the tides, or rainfall and salinity change may be necessary for some species."
    sesamethumb.jpg

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

Definately not limpets by this description.

I don't know about Nerite eggs but do know that they need brackish water to breed. Whether or not that stops them from laying eggs or not...can't say.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Their defin. Nerite Snail Eggs...I've got them in my 20L bare-bottom and all that's in their is nerites, Discus, and Discus Babies.
    Can even see photos of them on the glass if you follow my sign. link and check the recent photos posted.

The only way you'll get them to hatch is if you remove the snails and place them in brackish water.

14. Mynxy

Confirmation! Excellent, THANK YOU Dawn. :D

In your tank, does this happen continuously, or do they "cut it out" after awhile? And will shrimp munch at them? From online descriptions, breeding nerites sounds challenging; but they're super little snails, so cute and spiky. They must be happy little guys, and that's all I can ask.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

So far, I've seen little spreads of them here and their. The current laying on the back wall looks like a Capital C. I don't have any shrimp in the tank where the nerites are (20L with just Mom & Dad Discus) so I couldn't tell ya on the shrimp eating them or not.