1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what are you doing today that is tank related?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by eeyipes, Aug 12, 2008.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

This is our first go at keeping glow lights, I'm taking a good liking to them too. We've lost 3 in qt, but the other 7 are doing well and have colored up nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  2. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance.

3. buzz4520

Moved the guppies back to the 10g and moved the neon & glow light tetra to the 20g.

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I SO wish that I could keep guppies for some reason they just do not live in my water :(

5. buzz4520

In the past 6 months we've probably had over 100 guppies (from different sources & not all at once) and they would die off one by one. At one point we had 25 in the 55g and things were looking good and then they started to die off again. We're down to 8 and I think that's it for us, if/when they die, I don't think that we're going to get anymore.

6. HBIC

I wondered if perhaps they are too over bred but like you I have gotten them from multiple sources, from reputable breeders to fish shops, and none have lived :(

7. buzz4520

We've got our guppies from local reputable breeders, "mom & pop" lfs, to chain stores and like i said we're down to 8. We even had problems with mickey mouse & sunburst platy, but we've got 7 red wag platy and 1 variatus that's thriving.

8. HBIC

Sounds like we have the same troubles lol

9. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Guppies, ay... The last time I bought some guppies, they ended up getting some disease that they are prone to. It was basically some kind of body rotting disease that started with their fins, then went into the body and eventually killed them. Supposedly there isn't any kind of treatment for it and you just have to separate any infected fish from the rest and hope for the best. It started with the guppies and went to a few other fish in my tank. Some of the worst stuff I've ever seen. Sorry for cutting in, but talk of guppies brings back bad memories lol

On another note, speaking of diseases, my 90 gallon ended up coming down with ich. I treated with the heat method (86F) and ended up with minimal loses. Unfortunately the one fish I did loose was my oldest female festivum, the one out of the 4 I own that I would have kept if I got rid of them. The other 3 are a different species of festivum, and not as nice looking and not as nice a temperament.

Of course I somehow cross contaminated the 90 with the 10gal and noticed that that tank now has ich. So up goes the temp to 86 and I have my crayfish in a critter keeper. So far she's handling the cooler temperature fine, but with no filtration and heat, I worry about her not making it. I'm tempted to put her in the 55gal, but I worry that even though she can't get ich, she will pass it into that tank....ugh I hate fish diseases.......

10. HBIC

You are right she cannot actually get ich but she can carry it and will most definitely carry it to another tank. How long has she been in the keeper? Once the ich does not have host for a period of time it will die so it is quite possible she isn't even carrying it any longer. On a side note why do you worry about her not being able to tolerate cooler water? Crays are a cold water species I keep mine in a 55 unheated and the pig is growing like a mule lol

11. buzz4520

Just about all of the guppies that we had that died had good fins, scales, and color. We had some that we didn't find right a way, due to being in/under decor and such, that had started to decay. Other than that, I'm not sure what they died from.

Moved a bristle nose pleco from the 20g to the 55g.

12. buzz4520

This past Wednesday, my oldest son turned 9 yrs old and he wanted some more fish that he can call "his own". He all ready has 1 beta, 3 gold tetra, 2 panda garra, 1 rainbow shark. All which he bought with his allowance money. So, we went and got him 2 more panda garra and 3 yo-yo loach. He was very excited to see "his" new fish.

13. HBIC

So cool that you are getting the little ones involved and that they like it :)

14. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Love it! I'm hoping my daughter will eventually be like daddy and have all kind of crazy hobbies including aquariums! Right now she'll walk up to the fish tanks, point at a fish and say "Fishy!" lol
    As for my marble crayfish....made a big oops with her. I hooked up a hang on breeder box (uses an air pump to bring water in, and drains out the other side) to the 90 gal that I had originally used as a nano shrimp tank. I figured that if I was going to possibly deal with ich in another tank again, it might as well be the one with the least amount of fish / less expensive fish. I put the crayfish in there, and all was well. The next day I came home from work, went to feed the crayfish and she was missing. I had dropped the little drain grate and she must have sneaked out through the drain into the 90.... I haven't seen her since. I'm pretty sure she became a chocolate cichlid snack... So I'm going to have to order another one and probably just put her in my 55 and let her self reproduce like crazy lol On a good note, she wasn't carrying ich at the time! lol
    In the mean time I picked up a neon orange crayfish that I believe is a Clarkii . This one actually seems to be a lot more active than my marble was. I've yet to see this thing try to go after any of the molly fry. It eats like a champ, always roams the tank, and just molted last night.
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_IMG_5436.jpg
    The flash added a little to the color, but still a beautiful, interesting creature! lol

15. HBIC

Is it just small it resembles a CPO

16. buzz4520

Yeah, it is. He's also been helping out more with the cleaning/maintenance of our tanks.

Water changes and filter maintenance. Impeller broke this morning on the h.o.t 250, went out and got a new one for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance. Also cleaned the glass and moved some decor around.

18. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance. Also did some on-line shopping /research for some fish and a tank upgrade for my son's betta.

19. HBIC

What size tank are you thinking about going too?

20. buzz4520

Found a really nice looking bookshelf aquarium (6.6 gallon) at petco I think it would make a good beta tank. What I like the most about it is that it's 24" wide.
    Here's a link to it:
    http://www.petco.com/product/14978/...etco Bookshelf Freshwater Fish Aquarium-14978
    My son got "wind" that we are going to get a bigger tank for his beta and for what ever reason it may be, he thinks that it's going to be a 125g or another 150g. Not that I wouldn't like to have another 6 foot tank, we just don't have the space for one, unless we can sell/trade the 55g or talk the wife into getting rid of one of the couches.