1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what are you doing today that is tank related?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by eeyipes, Aug 12, 2008.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Water changes & filter maintenance.
    We got 2 baby (about an inch long) albino bristle nose plecos and a snail today. Got them acclimated and are in quarantine.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

What kind of snail did you get?

3. buzz4520

Black mystery snail, it's about ping pong ball in size. When it's out of qt we going to put it in with the betta.

4. HBIC

I am sure you know but be careful as betta have been known to pluck the antennae from the snail.

5. buzz4520

I hope he (the betta) will leave the snail alone. If it dosen't work with the betta , then we'll put him in one the other tanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. buzz4520

Water changes & filter maintenance.
    The snail & bristle nose plecos are still in qt & are doing well.

7. HBIC

Glad to hear they are doing well

8. buzz4520

Turned the light on the betta tank (10g) this morning to feed him & found him dead. Checked water parameters, 0 0 10. I've got no clue as to what happened too him. Yesterday he was swimming around like always & had a bubble nest going on. His color,fins,scales all looked good/normal also.

9. HBIC

Oh no sorry to hear that, it's always mind boggling when you lose them for now apparent reason :(

10. buzz4520

[ quote="HBIC, post: 79811, member: 1461"]Oh no sorry to hear that, it's always mind boggling when you lose them for now apparent reason :([/quote]
    It sure is mind boggling...especially when I had to tell my son that his betta died and I had no answers as to what caused his death. Even though my son was alittle hart broken about his betta, he took the bad news really well. Seeing that he really likes bettas, I told my son that we'll clean up the tank & decor, clean & reseed media then get him another betta.

11. BarbH

BarbH Member

Sorry about your son's betta. How long did you have it for? Had a similar thing happen with an Angelfish back in July. Had gotten 4 from a lfs, 3 of them had just come in from a local breeder. In a week one died on me, was looking healthy before hand. The store replaced the fish for me. In a few days the replacement passed. Still not sure what had been going on, but did decide that it was a possible problem with the source. Since then the original 3 have been doing well along with the others that I had gotten a few weeks later from another source.

12. buzz4520

We had the betta for just over 7 months.

13. HBIC

I wonder how old it was when you got it, perhaps it simply died of old age...not likely but it is a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BarbH

BarbH Member

As HBIC mentioned the first thought that came to my mind was possible old age. Depending on the store that you got him from he could have been already 6 months old or even closer to 8 months to a year. Another thing that comes to my mind is depending on where you got him from and the conditions he was kept in before purchase it is possible damage may have been done prior to buying him. Bettas at stores that are kept in small bowls or cups are more likely to be exposed to ammonia poisoning or nitrite poisoning. It is possible for the fish to survive with ammonia pr nitrite present, but it can have damaging effects on a fish and shorten their life. Just some of the thoughts that come to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  15. buzz4520

I think you both are right or at least on the right track. What you both said is about the same thing I told my son.

• Like Like x 1
  16. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance.

17. buzz4520

Today my son & I cleaned everything to the 10g really good. We went a head and put his snail in there, hopefully it'll keep the cycle going. He (my son - age 9) wants to lean how to check parameters with the API test kit, so I figured this would be a good time to teach him.

18. buzz4520

Earlier tonight I let my son test water parameters on the 10g and he did a really good job. he's helped/watch me do it several times but this time he did the tests and I helped (shook up bottles & read results). His readings are : ammonia - 0 nitrites - 0 nitrates - between 5 &10 ph - 7.6 , so far the snail seems to be keeping the cycle going.

• Like Like x 2
  19. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance.
    Decided to put the 2 albino bristle nose plecos in the 10g with the snail. Figured there was no sense in running 2 qt's when not needed. They all ready seem to like it better than the bare 5 g with a piece of driftwood.

20. HBIC

They are loving the room eh :D