1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what are you doing today that is tank related?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by eeyipes, Aug 12, 2008.

1. betta

betta Administrator Staff Member

buzz - Thanks for all the info on the C-360 canister filter. I have heard of other leaking stories, which you've said you've actually confirmed. I'm glad to hear that they replaced it for you. It's one of the benefits with going with a more well known company in the industry, some better than others.

Sorry for the delay. This weekend we'll be finally finishing the major upgrade to the site, including the gallery. I think we'll see some significant changes and growth upcoming over the next 2-3 weeks. :) Would look forward to seeing some pics of the awesome tank!!!!

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that your rainbow shark is surviving in a tank with the Oscars. He probably is on the larger side and better have enough hiding places where the Oscars can't reach. Even though it's a 150 gallon, my experience with Oscars are that they can and will go after the smaller fish and exist better with larger Cichlids. I don't know if that fear will ever change. I had a couple of German Blue Rams with a shark but Rams are not even in the same ballpark as Oscars when it comes to size and intimidation. :D

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

We've did really good with Marineland filters over the years, got a Magnum 350 & Magnum 250 h.o.t. that's around 20 years old and still running strong. Also got a Aqua Clear 110 that's about the same age. Our other c-360 is doing all right too, no leaks/issues yet.

Our rainbow shark is full grown. We had him in our 55g for a while but he wanted to "hog" all the food at feeding time and chase the smaller fish away. So we decided to try him in the 150g, put him in a mesh bag and put him in the tank. The Oscars didn't attempt to go after him at all, kept him in the mesh bag for about an hour (easier to get him out if he was to get attacked). The Oscars really don't want nothing to do with him, which is a good thing and the plecos will even eat side by side with the rainbow shark. We've got a vase thingy in there for the shark to hang out in when he doesn't want to be social.

3. betta

betta Administrator Staff Member

20 years old - that's incredible. I've rarely ever had components last that long but it's mostly the older products that were built to last. Over the past few years components were manufactured to be cheaper (low cost appeal) and not designed to last as long (inducement to repurchase) although there still are some solidly, well built components. I prefer to invest in the best since, in the long run, it pays both financially and in terms of performance.

It's good that the rainbow shark is fully grown and even better that the Oscars aren't paying attention to him. A friend had an Oscar in a 40 gallon who quickly ballooned in size and dominated everything in the tank. Plecos seem to be amenable to most fish, perhaps because of their nature of staying out of the way, not very active and sticking to their own little area without encroaching. I've had much success with them and great fish.

BTW, we've finally finished the upgrade and just added the showcase. :) The improvements should be coming fast and furious now, just like the server which is lightning quick! Thanks for your patience and looking forward to posting up some photos of the various aquariums I had, have and the reef I may decide to build.