1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what do you think the best filter is?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by crazhrse, Jul 12, 2009.

1. crazhrse

crazhrse Thread Starter New Member

Best Filter?
    i know that this is a matter of opinion in most cases but i just wanted to see what different people thought , i have heard alot of people talk so good about a bio-wheel and i have one and it does great but i also have 3 aquaclears and in my opinion it is hard to beat those. whats your guy's take on this

2. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

Re: whats the best filter

i think by far the biowheels are the best....but if you want some good filtration go with the canisters...

3. crazhrse

crazhrse Thread Starter New Member

yea thats for sure but i guess i titled this wrong i meant hob filter

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I hate bio wheels. I used the Emp 400 or Penguin, I can't remember, years ago and they were always getting clogged and stopped spinning which seems to defeat the purpose of them. If they don't spin the water doesn't spray over the whole thing, not allowing BB to grow on it. :confused:

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

For HOB (Hang on back) filters, I'd have to say Aqua Clear's are the best.

If you want/need a canister then I'd go with the Rena line.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I bought one of the new rena hob, with the four sided filters, bioballs, and even a place to put your wet chemicals (prime, flourish, etc). Another great thing about this filter is that you can adjust the flow to your liking!

If your looking to buy a new one petsmart has a really good sale on, I want to say, the aquaclear filter line, but Im not 100% positive that was the brand and they were marked down about 50%. They are sold out right now, but I would assume they would offer you a raincheck on the price. If not I bet petco would honor the competitors price.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

se1an says>>>i think it goes marieneland,aquaclear,and aquatech

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Filters/Filtration (Questions & Advice)

You would really put Marineland above AquaClear ? Why ?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'd place Marineland 2nd or even 3rd in that short list.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I personally love the emperor 400's. Biowheels, slide in cartridge, and cased cartridge that you can fill with what you like...I usually just use extra carbon. Always kept my tanks sparkling clean!

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

About 6 years ago I would place Marineland first, not now.

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have a rena filstar xp4, some B*tch about them and say they don't work..i dunno...mine works like a champ and I really like the huge trays for media...gives ya tons of options; plus who can't love spraybars!

13. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

I run 2 filters on all of my tanks, and for HOB's I feel Aquaclears are the best, and for canisters, the rena filters can't be beat for the price. On my 75G I run a AC110 and a XP3. Canisters are much better for biofiltration IMO.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

After using the Rena SmartFilters, I think I'd actually place them above AquaClear as far as filtering goes. The GHP isn't as high but it seems to have less bypass that the AC's.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

The renas do filter very very well, but the size of the media isnt that much, and they dont agitate the surface as much, with this being said they are both far and beyond my two favorite filters (HOB). Canister, well, fx5, try and beat it. Mine is the quietest filter I own, and it just looks bada$$.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, the Rena SmartFilters don't have as much of a cascade effect like the AC's do.

17. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Just to throw it out there... in my personal experience fluidized bed chambers have worked the best for massive (and fluctuating volume) bio-filtration with minimal detritus trapping and maintenance, but if power is lost (specifically circulation is lost) for more then a few minutes, all the O2 is used up and the bacteria/etc will die very quickly... poisoning and crashing the entire tank when power comes back.

As far as heavy bio filtration, sumps with bioballs (preferably with rotating spray bars) have been #1 for me, with canisters #2 and hang-on #3... all three trap detritus and need maintenance to keep them from turning into nitrate factories. canisters tend to be a bit ugly during long power loss too regarding poisoning tanks, but not as bad as fluid bed chambers.

For "clean" SW specific filtration (instead of just ammonia->nitrIte->nitrAte, actually remove or preventing nitrAtes).... deep sand beds and liverock promote lots of denitrification, and heavy/wet skimming removes organics from water before they ever even need to be biologically filtered. cultured macro-algae growth make great phosphate/nitrAte exports from the water as well. These setups minimize water changes and promote better water, but dont handle highly fluctuating bio-loads as well as canister/bioball/fluidized setups so if your constantly adding/removing large %s of fish, you could kick off "new tank syndrome"

Honestly though, people have had success with almost every form of filtration and as long as you adhere to proper maintenance and use common sense most major filtration techniques will serve you fine.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Really it depends on stock within the tank as to what type of filter, my rule of thumb is get a filter that is rated for twice your tank volume. My vote is for the AquaClear brand of filters hand-down for HOB.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

My favorite all time, is the whisper wet/dry HOB. Easy to charge carbon, nice sponges, and an excellent surface area for the filter media. I dont know if they still make it, but I still use mine. It is about 15 years old.

20. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

i use aquaclear and have grown to love it. i dont believe in using carbon and the aquclears still clean my water up quickly and efficiently. as far as the detritus collection goes, depending on how much waste you fish produce, as long as you rinse your sponge in discarded tank water once a month or bi-monthly they work like a charm. i like them the best because of the high rate of flow and the abilitly to adjust it the flow rate. the fast flow helps with sweeping up excess food after feeding to either be filtered out or put back in the fish's line of site